AA - trying to stay sober

I just had an urge to drink about a half an hour ago, but it finally passed. There’s no one to call because everyone is out for Thanksgiving. I just hope it’s over for the evening.

3 Likes

Hang in there. It’s odd how you still desire things long after letting them go.

I got a bit stressed the other day and saw this sign for a vape place. I haven’t had a smoke for over a decade but the idea appealed to me. Like I know it’s not a cig but still I can remember those feelings of having a cig in the mornings first thing. Yeah I’d be sick for the first one but after 10 I’d be back to square one again…

Keep strong. We tend to fall into bad behavior when we are alone or stressed. I’m glad you said no.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s usually rough for me over the holidays. This is the first urge I’ve had in four months.

Hang in there with not smoking.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s hard to let go but you can overcome these things.

2 Likes

Well I just got settled down, and there was just a commercial on tv showing people at a bar drinking.

Yeah tempation is everywhere if you look for it. Be strong and change the channel. It’s never going to end well and there’s reasons you don’t drink. Those are important. Your important and they are good reasons.

1 Like

Thanks @rogueone

1 Like

There are AA Zoom meetings happening 24/7. Jump into one if you need some sober vibes!

2 Likes

Just wanted to hop on this thread and offer you some encouragement. You’ve done a good job resisting the urge. We are here if you need someone to talk to. Feel free to pm if you need to. I am up for awhile.

3 Likes

I’ve always liked the smell of cigarette smoke, I’ve never smoked though.

1 Like

Thanks @shutterbug @Rester

I think it’s over for the time being.

@Bowens Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

1 Like

I get urges to drink occasionally. My biggest enemy is “euphoric recall”, where you remember to good feelings you got when you first started drinking. I find the best way to combat this is to remember the bad times I had from drinking. Remember the hangovers. Remember the shakes. Remember the trouble it has gotten you into. Remember the money you spent. Remember the nausea. Think of what a bummer it would be if you got caught drinking and driving. The strongest thought that keeps me from drinking is that I probably wouldn’t last very long if I drank again.

3 Likes

Thanks @crimby. That’s good advice I hadn’t heard of before.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.