Afraid to go to sleep

I’m afraid to go to sleep tonight. I know it’s mostly just anxiety, but I can’t make it it stop. There’s a persistent voice that keeps saying things like “she’s already dead” and “you’ll never get to her in time” and “it’s going to happen again” and “this has to happen.”

My daughter is sick. She’s just got a fever, nothing really scary. But her temp keeps going up even after we gave her medicine. So it’s a little scary.

I’m afraid to go to sleep though. So many what ifs. And my PTSD is flaring because what if this is RSV and she stops breathing and dies? What if she has a seizure? What if she vomits and chokes on it?

So much could so easily go wrong and I’d have no idea.

Next time she wakes up I’m going to ask my sister to sleep on the couch and I’ll sleep in Little LED’s room with her tonight.

I’m just so scared.

1 Like

Damn, that’s rough. I’m sorry you’re experiencing this, LED.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wish I could get a handle on this anxiety. Meds aren’t helping. I keep seeing flashbacks to the past and it’s scary. Then the voice joins in and makes me miserable. No way I’m sleeping tonight.

I took lorazepam last night. I slept only four hours. Do you have anything to help you sleep?

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this @LED. I can only imagine what you’re going through. I’ve never had children but i can imagine the fear you must have. I am sure she will be okay though. Kids get sick and these things usually pass. I hope you are able to get some rest and i hope Little LED feels better soon. Take care.

1 Like

How high is her fever? Has it broken yet?

1 Like

It’s been hovering around 103.5-104.5 even with meds. Finally with a combo of acetaminophen and ibuprofen together it’s come down to around 102. We just got home from a 3 hour trip to the doctor’s.

2 Likes

Why did the dr send y’all home? I thought with a temp of 103 or more they have to admit her.

No, it’s probably just a virus or something.

That’s good news. Having a sick child is terrible, when I was a toddler I got a few earaches that were just the worst pain ever. I really hope her fever breaks and she gets better soon.

1 Like

Thanks. Luckily we were able to bribe her with taco bell to finally eat and drink something and now she’s really perked up. Poor thing has just been so miserable all day.

2 Likes

Poor thing! I hope she feels better soon!

1 Like

Thanks, @ZmaGal.

1 Like

Hugs. That must be so scary. I’m glad she’s eating again.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s very scary. PTSD is getting the better of me, especially at night.

1 Like

Well, the chest x-ray results just came through. She’s got bronchitis, which is viral, so there’s not a whole lot they can do but keep her comfortable.

She doesn’t have a cough yet, though, so hopefully that’s not too bad when it does show up.

I’m even more worried about her breathing at night, though. I think I’ll sleep in her room again tonight.

1 Like

So scary when kids are sick and not much can be done. I remember sleeping in my kids rooms when they were ill. I wish you a restful night and that your little one feels better soon.
((Hugs))

1 Like

Moms are awesome

2 Likes

cold compresses help

fans

or even air conditioner

hope you get some sleep

1 Like

At least now you know what it is. Hopefully she will get over it soon and be feeling better. Hang in there @LED.

1 Like