Adverse Childhood Experiences

Hi, i’m a 33 year old woman, mixed race - black caribean and white. I lived with my birthmother (who was adopted by a white family) until the age of 4. She had paedophile boyfriends, and abusdd me, gave me cigarette burns. If she saw I was enjoying myself with a toy, she’d scold me and take the toy away, so I learnt to not express myself. At school discos, I’d stand still instead of dance. Anyone else have similar experiences???

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you had to go through that. When I hear stories like that, it’s an excellent argument for Capital punishment. I hope you’re doing better now

1 Like

Wow im sorry, she sounds awful. I hope youre able to heal from all of that. I have my own ACEs but they are different than yours.

1 Like

Thanks for replies. I’ve been unemployed for a few years after being bullied from my last job (data analyst). I’m focussing on my mental health for the time being before searching for work again. I was diagnosed with a psychotic episode and i’m on haliperidol and aripiprazole. I was a bit naughty and overdid recreational drug use during my sick leave from work due to bullying (amphetamine).

1 Like

Wishing you all the best in your recovery

I grew up with an abusive dad. My mom got the worst of it but we kids were also were screamed at, threatened, jabbed, pinched, pushed up against walls, had hair pulled, etc. We were punished if we showed any negative emotions generally, so I grew up extremely emotionally repressed and had shallow relationships with others and was lonely because of it.

Now he is older he has matured a great deal and doesn’t really treat his kids like that anymore. I actually have a very healthy positive relationship with him now as an adult, (and after years of therapy I am no longer repressed and now actually am probably too in touch w my emotions lol.) Sadly however he still tends to treat my mom like crap. I wish she could leave him but she’s financially trapped.

Also I had mental illness from early childhood and experienced a lot of scary or just miserable things because of it. I consider that an adverse childhood experience too.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us

I was abused as a child too. I ended up being emancipated at 16 years old. I’m sorry you went through that.

A few tips on things that confuse newbies:

Cake day is the anniversary date of when you joined.

The 1515 or other numbers at the end of peoples posts are because there’s a 15 character minimum to post. So people put 15s after until they get to the minimum characters to post.

To tag someone, put the @ followed by the name.

Here are the moderators if you need them:
@anon4362788 @anon55031185 @Bowens @rogueone @Moonbeam

1 Like

My mother didn’t intend to be abusive, but could be volatile. She threw a large book at me when I was 6 or 7, just to wake me up. I had to go to the hospital, because it cut me near my eye.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.