Adding Lamotrigine to the mix

My psychiatrist just prescribed me a very low dose of Lamotrigine to my cocktail of Risperdal and Depakote.

Hopefully this will mean less depression.

But I do realize that it will mean more anxiety for me.

Oh well no med is perfect.

13 Likes

Good, hopefully this will get you feeling better.

3 Likes

Thanks @Leaf 25555

2 Likes

Best of luck with it @Wave .

2 Likes

My doc added lamotragine to my cocktail of seroquel, klonopin and Welbutrin and it’s made a HUGE difference. I feel so much calmer and more stable. I’ve been on it for like 6 months or more. It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me, so far anyways. I think it’s a great med!

5 Likes

Thanks @everhopeful

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s helping you @thomas
Thanks

2 Likes

The thing is Lamotrigine makes me anxious a bit and it also keeps me on the manic side of things but it worked well for my depression.

With Depakote on board my doctor feels that I shouldn’t get too anxious or manic.

Hopefully I’ll feel fine.

4 Likes

wishing you the best with the medication change @Wave
I hope it will help you!

2 Likes

I’m on 150mg. I like it, helps keep me from my major depressive episodes.

Hope it works out for you!

4 Likes

Why thanks @lekkerhondje and @Ooorgle!

3 Likes

The history of the use of anti-convulsants in problems with mood is interesting. Initially they were only used in seizure patients

After a while people started noticing the seizure patients had more stable mood. This led on to the investigation of anticonvulsants for use in psychiatry

9 Likes

Thanks @SkinnyMe

1 Like

I am on Lamotrigine for seizures. I didn’t realize it was also an antidepressant

1 Like

Yes it’s also approved for mood stabilization (depression) @Cragger

1 Like

I hope it works for you and what your dr says is correct: that your cocktail will keep you from mania and anxiety.

1 Like

Thanks @rocket

Yep, been on lamictal for years. On its own it didn’t help, but paired with my AP, it made a big difference calming me down.

4 Likes

Glad it’s working for you @anon78876561!

Im now almost 10 years on Lamotragine, 200mg. It’s a good med for me. It pulled me out of suicidal ideation in a couple of months and kept me stable for years.

I hope it works well for you Wave. What dosage are you on?

2 Likes