Activities to decrease schizophrenia symptoms

What activities do you do to decrease your schizophrenia symptoms? I wanted to create a new topic for everyone with schizophrenia to see what other schizophrenic people do to decrease their sz symptoms[Positive, negative, cognitive symptoms…]. There is this topic: http://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/what-is-your-favorite-me-time-activity/2107 while this is similar, this is not the same.

Being at seaside,
Watching the sea,
Being in bookstores, in museums
Reading books,
Listening music,
Doing research,
Travelling,
Riding a bicycle,
Being isolated in the wild nature,
Having a picnic

These activities decrease some of my sz symptoms, make me feel alive in a positive way, make me grateful and connected with life harmonically.(this is very hard to get if you have sz).

5 Likes

yoga has been proven to help schizophrenia symptoms you can buy dvds on amazon.

1 Like

I find myself sitting in silence trying to find peace of mind and silence helps. When it’s noisy it’s hard to distinguish what are voices and what are ambient sounds.

3 Likes

Listening to this song helps . Makes me feel :smiley:

:beer: :beers: :beer: :tropical_drink: :beers:

2 Likes

Sundaze. :sunrise: :sunglasses: :sun_with_face:

Not Sundays. :church:

This one’s better:

1 Like

travelling to another planet…
working on my spaceship…
graffiting the jedi spaceships…i’m the sith version of banksy…lol
take care

1 Like

Someone should edit this so that its in the RECOVERY section. There has been so little there lately. Great topic. I pet my cats and watch the fishes in the tank.

1 Like

I just moved it

1 Like

I find reading and writing as well as listening to music to help my symptoms. Occupies my brain with something else. That and anime, movies and beer

1 Like

Listening to Music without lyrics on good headphones
Writing and arranging my own music
Digital Photography
Trying new apps
Drawing doodles as long as they aren’t too morose
Getting massage or footrub
Praying the rosary (I am somewhat of an agnostic but it calms me down in an emergency )
Vacuuming our apartment
Window shopping at electronic stores
Talking to friends on phone or texting

… Pretty much anything which makes me happy without making me physically ill.

Playing the guitar has been a good way to decrease my symptoms, especially anxiety and depression - so has walking on the treadmill, good way to alleviate depressive symptoms

Open the window in the morning and listen to the birds.

1 Like

This is a good computer-based hobby -something that I can actually do.

1 Like

martial arts. combines focus and exercise and self discipline

@levelJ1:

I’m glad I don’t know the martial arts that can hurt others. I just know if I did I would’ve tried it on the cops that came to get me for involuntary holds, and things really would’ve gotten ugly!

1 Like

you might like tai chi? it is a gentle art

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen that stuff on TV. It looks too slow for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

1 Like

Yeah… I love it. I use Picasa and Irfanview a lot… I get fairly decent results with my cheap point and shoots. Even my LG cell phone camera is now pretty good.

I rest a lot
Eat out once a month
Go to the movies
Take a stroll late afternoon
Take drives in the countryside
Visit the zoo
Visit the theatre once a year
Do some voluntary work for needy friend and elderly aunt
Watch a little bit of tv
Participate in this forum
Visit a friend

1 Like