Abilify and Impulse Control 👹

Hi peeps,

I know this topic has been done before, but I’m really struggling with impulse control— even after a recent bout of hypo/mania.

It’s like this itch I have to scratch, then once I’ve gone and bought the item, it’s pure remorse and self-loathing.

Basically, I see the thing. I buy the thing. Then I feel shiit.

Funds are low and I’m already paying back on a credit card. I just can’t afford to keep doing this. Not to mention every time I get a package in the mail it’s really disheartening— feels like a personal failure.

Does anybody else struggle with this?

I’ve seen previous posters talk about sex and gambling addictions, with some spending thrown in the mix due to Abilify— just wondering if anybody had some wise words/can relate.

Thank you in advance :+1:

3 Likes

Sounds like the wrong med for you.

1 Like

Yea, I dunno. It’s pretty effective with the schiz component of SZA for me.

I dunno if it’s me or the meds, I guess is what I’m trying to say. Very hard to separate the two sometimes.

Thanks for your input @Mars :+1:

1 Like

Yeah that’s unfortunate that it works but possibly causes stuff like that. Abilify is pretty notorious for it. Impulse control can cause major problems if left unchecked.

1 Like

Very true— lack of impulse control has wreaked havoc financially, and also put a strain on my relationship with my parents (they’re worried about me, basically and don’t know how to help).

I guess I’m just trying to figure out if it’s mania or what, but I don’t think it’s mania, I honestly think it’s the Abilify doing this. Mania has a certain flavor to it— what I’m experiencing daily is more like a very very intense itch, if that makes sense.

Thanks again :+1:

1 Like

It might be the abilify. I understand it’s hard to tell with me too with food. Is it me or is it abilify?

I don’t know.

I do know that I find it impossible to exercise on abilify like I used to and that helped regulate my appetite In the past. But if abilify directly caused food impulse control. I have no idea. I do know that the drug gave me mild depression and could therferore have made me comfort eat.

Maybe abilify has also affected your mood and so made you splurge on stuff for feeling better.

It’s all quite complicated but those are my thoughts.

My only advice I can give is remind yourself what important stuff you require savings for in the future

And do you REALLY need what you are buying when considering what you want savings for.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Yea, it’s a very slippery slope. Sometimes I wish my brain was a blank slate (no meds), so I’d be able to say whether or not it was the Abilify doing this.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Abilify affects your eating habits or amplifies a lack of control in other words. This drug has caused some crazy shiit to happen to other people (gambling, sex, etc).

And yes, I do keep in mind what I’m saving for (that’s really good advice btw, and a few times it’s helped) but it’s like something overrides my rational mind and it’s literally an itch I can’t scratch until the item is mine.

It’s gotten to the point where I’ve thought about joining some form of support group.

Thanks @LittleMissSlothy :+1:

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea

And woops sorry didn’t mean to sound condescending about reminding yourself.

It’s just what I do and it will Eventually help me. I hope.

1 Like

You weren’t condescending at all IMO, it was solid advice :+1:

1 Like

Me and my first sz wife racked up a half million dollar bankruptcy semi stable, semi delusional on abilify…ruined our finances and our marriage. long story…try generic prolixin…that’s what I’m on fluphenazine.

2 Likes

That is rough goings @jukebox— sorry that happened while you were on Abilify. It seems like you’re defos doing a lot better now though.

I will look into prolixin. Thank you for your suggestion :+1:

How long did it take before impulse control problems began with the Abilify?

1 Like

Probably around 6 months after I first started taking Abilify.

I’ve been on it since 2019.

1 Like

Yeah that concerns me. I started taking abilify in august so maybe it could onset still. Or maybe it already did and i cant really tell.

Im sorry you are struggling. A group or a book on the subject :thinking: i think

1 Like

Hopefully you don’t have to deal with any impulse control issues @FreeLunch. It’s almost a year of you taking it and so far so good, so hopefully it stays that way.

I’ve been on the ol’ Reddit reading posts from people in similar shoes and it kinda helps to feel less alone in that sense.

Thanks for your reply :+1:

1 Like

I had this, too, with abilify; and I’m still suffering from an addiction I started during my tenure with abilify. The pharmaceutical company that made it was under a lawsuit or something a while ago about the impulsiveness. I’m not sure if they settled, lost, or won.

My best advice is to get off abilify if this is a side effect that you’ve experiencing. Therapy can help too, it did for me with my xanax addiction.

1 Like

Good on you for seeking help with your addiction @John_Raven, takes a lot of courage.

I too read about that lawsuit, but have no idea what the outcome was.

Thank you for your reply :+1:

1 Like

You may want to try looking at this book:

1 Like

Thanks, looks like a decent read :+1:

1 Like

My psychiatrist was prescribed me for 5 mg of Ablify with 300 mg of Lithium and/or 10 mg Ablify with 500 mg of Lithium tablets. Lithium is a mood stabilizer. Depending on the level of psycosish. Its work better for me.

1 Like