A glimpse of gender differences in schizophrenia

It’s not great that the medical model has is foundations in the study of white male patients as the population. It wouldn’t be overly complicated to analyse some of the genderic specific pharmacokinetics.

Females do have a better prognosis. Estrogen therapies are also promising.

I do get the feeling that advantage that is conferred by a patriarchal society is largely skewed. The more successful you are the more advantage is conferred by being born male sex. I think men with severe mental health issues are even more disadvantaged and one of the most left behind groups. Our society is largely absent from good male role models. I do feel there is no discussion space for disadvantaged men and they are largely forgotten. It’s not an appealing topic for anyone to advance. Of the men with schizophrenia left behind by society there are a lot. I think this only holds true for the western world, in underdeveloped countries the conditions much much worse for women.

2 Likes

A mountain of evidence shows that women bunch more in the middle whereas men are more likely to be found at the the left and right tails when it comes to intelligence. If we accept that taken as a group the IQ of those with schizophrenia is lower than that of the general public,and that more men than women are at the tail ends of the curve, it’s then not surprising that the prognosis for men,generally speaking is worse. Degree of cognitive impairment being a major factor when it comes to how well a schizophrenic person is likely to do.

Seems to me like female schizophrenics are all in relationships and male schizophrenics are all single.

3 Likes

I was with my wife 22 years, and married to her nearly 19 years. It ended with her death.For the last 2 years she had vascular dementia.

That is a really fascinating interpretation of the science.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife @firemonkey :pray: