A cure for schizophrenia?

And I think it’s highly unlikely one med will offer cure-like properties to all.

But again, increases in computational power, machine learning, increased ability to scan brains and interpret the genome will also lead to more personalized medicine.

1 Like

Isn’t chronic pain and also addiction worthy of a cure too?
They both go along in many people with Sz.

Every med that’s ever been produced for Sz we hate.

We complain about every side effect it has, saying it:
isn’t effective, stops working, makes us fat, too sleepy, too anxious, empty thoughts, racing thoughts, makes us a zombie, amped up…
…we’re not ourselves anymore- but was that the same self we cried so desperately to change- the same self if remembered correctly, one we could no longer stand.
Is there anything about the meds we do like- even if it’s only temporary?

Would you agree no two people are alike in the way they process their thinking, their body functions, and the way they react?

If you are born deficit a certain way but learn to adapt in life to be able to do just as well as the “Normal” folks, would you be considered cured?

I think if any of us want a cure, we might all start by looking into being part of that cure, and doing whatever the folks already in power need for us to do to help them help us.
They need volunteers for research.
They need info from us other than we hate them for not providing us something we probably have to provide ourselves.

Do everyone a favor and look into what the powers that be would like from us to help them…?

Anybody good at writing a nice letter to send them?

2 Likes

Yes, and psych camp!

1 Like

If it would further the research needed to learn about MI, and help all,
I’m all for it.

1 Like

What about CBD? Or was that just a bunch of internet crap?

Saw a show that talked about cbd like it was some wonder drug

CBD might be very good, but not a cure.

The best case seems to be that it worked about as well as amisulpride, a pretty strong antipsychotic, but without strong side effects.

where do you get the info regarding the comparison to amisulpride?
@twinklestars

Here you go:

“We performed a double-blind, randomized clinical trial of cannabidiol vs amisulpride, a potent antipsychotic, in acute schizophrenia to evaluate the clinical relevance of our initial findings. Either treatment was safe and led to significant clinical improvement, but cannabidiol displayed a markedly superior side-effect profile”

3 Likes

Is there more precise info on the degree of improvement?
Is it good for cognitive and negative and other positive symptoms as well?
It talks about antipsychotic effect, but I think schizophrenia has other symptoms as well.
Another question is what dose of amisulpride did the study use?
Different doses of amisulpride act differently.
More questions than answers

Check out the full study, there are answers to some of your questions. There is a link to the full text on the page I provided. However I know it is a lot to read so I found some of the answers for you:

Dosage: “either cannabidiol or amisulpride starting with 200 mg per day each and increased stepwise by 200 mg per day to a daily dose of 200 mg four times daily (total 800 mg per day) each within the first week.”

CBD was more effective at helping negative symptoms than amisulpride. See Figure 2 for a graph. (You have to click the link to get to the graph)

1 Like

If you are schizophrenic for 5,10, or 20 years, I doubt that any pill or other cure could undo the damage.

I should point out that CBD in the range of 600-800mg a day will run about $30 per day.

So probably not affordable unless it goes thru the approval process and becomes covered by insurance, or if they find a way to make a synthetic version - or if they figure out the mechanism of action, this paper suggested anandamide, and base a med off that.

I believe our brain has a biological abnormality that might need a small genetic change. But what would it be? It’s like our mind is not “ONE”.

1 Like

For a pill, I’m inclined to agree. But for biologics, I do think healing even very damaged brains will one day be possible. I don’t know if that will be thru stem cells, gene therapy, optogenetics, or some as yet unimaginable technology.

One day though… not today, not next year. Eventually.

I think a cure would be some sort if niacin injection. At first you would here the voices yell, “What’s going on! That’s not supposed to happen. It burns! Ahhhh!” Then they dissappear, and I feel vindicated for all the ■■■■ they put me through.

1 Like

I do believe that SZ can be cured by killing the alien-parasites in our brain. We have an infection of something unusual.

1 Like

for many of us positive sz will become attenuated over time possibly with the negative and cognitive features remaining or getting worse over time. i am only two years in myself and hoping desperately for a period of remission so i can go back to school and be successful at that. honestly don’t know if i will be able to do it.

@twinklestars I like your outlook, very optimistic.
Humanity is moving forward , and, hopefully , over time things will get better.
@77nick77 never say never…

2 Likes

See ur pdoc not physicins