Yesterday was bad - Antipsychotic medications and overheating

My meds make me over heat too quickly…I probably should of went to the hospital…I was throwing up …dizzy…my eyes wouldn’t focus…my heart felt terrible…I muscled through it…but I don’t think my body can take much more of this…I still feel off…I’m seriously afraid of having a heart attack on prolixin…what should I do…my next appointment isn’t till the 17th and my doc won’t give me new meds over the phone…

I was trying to do my part time job and had to abandon it due to all this…idk I’m kinda scared about this…

Damn that sounds rough…I dunno what to do. You wanna switch to a new ap??

At the very least I would call your doctor and report your symptoms. I hope you get to feeling better.

1 Like

I would see a doctor. That sounds serious!

I am not sure what to tell you. I would say stop your meds immediately @SzAdmin if you see horrible symptoms and go to emergency.

I hope you feel better flame. how long have you been taking this med? I think if the symptoms are too severe, you need to stop taking the med.
good vibes your way.

I didn’t take one last night when I usually do…I will be without any med support until the 17th if I stop completely …I’m afraid I’ll lose my ■■■■ if I stop…but I’m equally afraid of over heating or heart attack if I keep taking it…I’m gonna call my doc and see what they say…

2 Likes

I called the docs don’t take phone calls buts she’s gonna relay the info to the doctor…and the nurse practitioner will call me back…

4 Likes

That is definitely a serious side effect. I’m glad you called the doctor. Hopefully they can get you an emergency appointment.

2 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping for…I don’t want to die…and I don’t want to lose my sanity any further…

It’s good you called your doctor. Whether it’s med-related or not, you should get it checked out. If you have a GP, I would suggest you contact them in addition to your pdoc.

1 Like

How are you feeling today? I hope much better. Maybe call to see your GP if it starts up again, they should have enough training in ap’s to be able to give you some advice, or maybe even call your psychiatrist for you for advice.

I have no gp or therapist…im very paranoid about doctors…if my gf didn’t pressure me into going to my appointments I would have no doc…I feel better physicaly today but I feel mentally bad from not taking my meds…

Fair enough. I’m glad you’re physically feeling better, but I’m worried about you all the same.

@flameoftherhine I think its risky to stop your meds w/o seeing a doctor.

Is there an urgent care clinic where you can go to get checked out? They should be able to check out your heart function, etc. and also contact your pdoc to help you get a sooner appointment if necessary.

I know you don’t like doctors but it’s better to get checked out now than to possibly end up in the ER.

2 Likes

I agree with Moonbeam. You can tell yourself that a clinic will have less doctors and take up much less time than the ER. People at clinics are usually nice and not jaded like ER staff.

Here is what the Internets say:

Nearly all psychiatric medications increase the body’s sensitivity to the heat or sun. Photosensitivity is the result of drugs combining with proteins in the skin to form substances which react with direct light. Being in the sun for as little as 30 to 60 minutes can cause a variety of allergic skin rashes. Other signs of sensitivity are severe sunburn, nausea and vomiting, flushed or pale skin, and confusion and fainting.

If photosensitivity does occur, speak to your doctor. Sun should be avoided for as much as 4-6 weeks. There are many commercial sunscreens available to help protect anyone who either works or plays in the sun. They come in lotions, creams and sprays and should be applied to all exposed areas of the body such as hands, face, neck, feet, legs, and top of head if bald. Sun block or other sunscreens containing para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) should be used. These products screen out the ultraviolet rays. Protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats, are also a big help in protection.

Anti-psychotics (Neuroleptics), Anti-depressants, and Anti-parkinsonians inhibit the body’s ability to sweat. Take cool showers or baths, or splash cool water on your face and arms if they are becoming overheated. Anti psychotics (Neuroleptics) also make the skin more susceptible to sunburn. Use sunscreen. Lithium causes excessive loss of fluids, such as through excessive sweating, and can cause the lithium level in your blood to become too high. Drink plenty of liquids and use salt unless instructed not to do so.

Excessive Heat Poses Increased Risks for Individuals With Behavioral Health Conditions…
Individuals with behavioral health conditions taking psychotropic medications or using certain substances are at a higher risk for heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. These medications and substances can interfere with the body’s ability to regulate heat.

The Substance and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is issuing a heat advisory to alert the nation to the increased risk of heat-related illnesses for individuals with mental and substance use disorders. Children and older adults with these conditions are particularly vulnerable to elevated temperatures.

Exposure to excessive heat is dangerous for all American citizens and can lead to heatstroke which is considered a medical emergency. Heatstroke occurs when the body’s temperature-regulating system breaks down and the body is unable to cool itself. Internal body temperatures can rise to levels that may cause irreversible brain damage and death.

Individuals with behavioral health conditions who are taking psychotropic medications or using certain substances are at a higher risk for heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. These medications and substances can interfere with the body’s ability to regulate heat and an individual’s awareness that their body temperature is rising.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), effective methods to prevent heat exhaustion include drinking plenty of fluids, replacing salt and minerals that may be removed from heavy sweating, wear loose light-colored clothing, wear sunscreen, stay cool indoors with air conditioning, and monitor those at high risk. For individuals who may be living in facilities, ensure that they are well hydrated, have access to cooler areas, and monitor temperature levels, especially for those individuals who may be taking antipsychotic and anticholinergic medications.

Source:

http://www.mindlink.org/meds_sensitivity.html

1 Like

Definitely talk with your doctor ASAP - make sure they understand the urgency of the situation.

1 Like

Thank you for the info…they have yet to call back