Working on SSDI how much

Does anyone know how much you’re allowed to work while on disability?

Your aloud to make under $840 gross per month without starting a work trial month. I suggest you go to ssa.gov and look it up. It changes every year.

1 Like

I have been working since about 1983 or 1984. I also have been collecting SSDI since around 1985. I can’t remember all the rules but basically Social Security will give something called a trial work period in which you can try working for 11 months or 16 months or something and still collect SSDI. Someone can probably help you better than me. I just know they will let you test the waters and try working while collecting SSDI.

I’ve been through all kinds of situations with Social Security but where it stands now after years of working, sporadic unemployment, now I can earn up to about $1100 a month and still collect SSDI but they said if I go over that amount even once than I will lose my benefits. But there’s a loophole. My old boss knew all the rules of Social Security and when she needed me to put in some extra work which would have put me over the $1100 per month she called Social Security or wrote them a letter (I can’t remember which) and explained to them that it was her fault I went over the limit and because of this reason Social Security did not stop my benefits.

And I remember distinctly that Social Security told me that I can collect SSDI forever and earn up to the $1100 limit. I found it hard to believe so I asked them this multiple times and they have confirmed that this goes on until I die or retire.

2 Likes