How many hrs is safe to work on ssdi

How many hours is safe to work on ssdi so I don’t lose it?

As of 2021, the maximum amount of money an individual can earn while receiving SSDI benefits is $1,310 for non-blind disabled workers . (Disabled workers who are blind are subject to SSDI income limits of $2,190 per month.)Mar 29, 2021

https://socialsecuritydisabilityadvocatesusa.com › …

How Much Can I Earn on Social Security Disability in 2021?

1 Like

I read that on the trial to work period you can only earn up to 850.

1 Like

That might be ssi I’m not sure because ssdi the first 9 months there is no limit on how much you can make. Are you sure you mean ssdi?

2 Likes

This is correct. They have a nine month trial period before you have to worry about how much you earn. That is my understanding anyway.

1 Like

I used up my nine months got scared for a while and then went off it. A few months I made like $9000. Still didn’t lose it. The rest of the months I made $15 an hour. Shouldn’t have done that.

My SSDI was stopped but I make much more than that working. Still have Medicare though. Have to pay for it since it doesn’t come out of my check anymore.

The 9 months is nice. You can see if you can handle it.

2 Likes

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/twp.html

This link has the details of how the trial work period works. It’s not necessarily consecutive.

1 Like

So any month that you make over 970 can be counted towards stopping benefits? According to the trial to work period.

1 Like

No, I don’t think so. After that period there was another longer period. By memory I think it was 60 months but I am not sure. During that period, the amount you make determines if you receive money from social security. I was going to look it up but could not find the link that I looked up before.

edit: it was 36 months

1 Like

Here in Ontario if you make more than $30,000/year working you won’t receive any money from disability, but I don’t think they kick you off completely, I think it still pays for your medication and dental.

I don’t know what the earning limit is where they kick you off completely but I doubt I’ll ever hit it that limit.

1 Like

It doesn’t completely stop after the nine months. I got three more months. And then early this year they paid me another $7000. So I got a few more than that too.

1 Like

it was 36 months, not 60

" When Your Trial Work Period Ends

After you’ve completed your 9 months of the TWP, you begin a 36-month Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE). During this time, if you continue to work, Social Security will evaluate your work and earnings. A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount after consideration of all of Social Security’s work incentives, is ordinarily considered to be engaging in Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA). In 2021, SGA is a monthly earning of $1,310 for individuals who are not blind and $2,190 for individuals who are blind. Social Security determines your eligibility for benefits based on this number, and some other work incentives that may allow Social Security not to count some of your earnings.
."

1 Like

some months have four weeks and some have five where you would work on a set schedule. i would recommend working such that the four week month is your standard, cause you dont want to base it on something that happens only once in awhile. also, you dont want to have too high of income even if it’s not past the threshhold, because they might think you are just gaming the system. that’s also why you dont want to try to work more or less during certain months, cause you dont want to look like you’re gaming it all. i’ve heard stories of social security saying they think beneficiaries are capable of working more but artificially keeping wages low. another term related, is ‘parking’ where wages are artificially kept low to maintain benefits.

personally i dont think social security should care so much about gaming it. the income limits are arbitrary. people on ssi can earn a lot more than those on ssdi for instance. completely pointless difference. everyone’s disability is different so why should they care if you can sometimes work more than other times? they could have just made the limit 1500… there are surely many who are disabled who could work up to there but not a lot more.

1 Like

Here is a more detailed explanation of both the trial work period and the extended period of eligibility.:

https://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm?tl=1

1 Like

My 36 months aren’t up but I got a letter that my disability ended.

I would have to reapply

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.