What is taking Haldol (Haloperidol) like? Is it worth it? [I quit my meds but still hear voices]

I am wondering if i should ask my pdoc if he can prescribe me Haldol because i read the side effects of pretty much every atypical antipsychotic and it is the only one without weight gain in its side effects,

I want to know what the general side effects of Haldol are and how bad are they in comparison to Zyprexa.

I quit taking Zyprexa 27 days ago because of the weight gain and risk for diabetes and other things,I was one 5 mg for most of the time and 10 mg for about a month so I was still hearing voices but they were quiet and more managable than before, My symptoms haven’t really gotten worse and I do not hear voices in public like I used to before starting Zyprexa,

Basically, I wanted to know if Haldol is worth it to take rather than just going on how i am now because I am still hearing voices BUT they are quieter than they used to be and the things they say as well as the strange thoughts I have do not bother me really anymore but ocassionally I have breakdowns like when I am angry or sad and lately since I have quit taking my medicine I don’t really go out much anymore.

When I was on 10 mg Zyprexa my voices were practically silent I would be so happy to go and see new movies and just go different places but I know I don’t want to go back on the medicine because I think I will gain even more weight and I gained quite a bit from the time I was taking it

The good: Haldol stops all my delusions and fears immediately. And almost without weight gain. I used Zyprexa before and had huge sugar cravings, gained lots of weight (from 60 to 70kg in 2 weeks) and never lost it. Now I’m on haldol and I gained some extra weight in a couple of months (from 70 to 73kg) and have a little bit more craving for sugar than before meds, but it isn’t really an issue like on Zyprexa. I think if I would watch my diet a bit better I could get back to my normal weight again.

The bad: I do not like Haldol however. I get really depressed, unmotivated and emotionally flat on it. More than with Abilify or Zyprexa. For me that is more important than my weight. If there was any way to do without it, I would definitely try!

The way I felt while not eating while on Zyprexa is how it felt on Haldol all the time.

i think i heard someone before saying haldol is good for positive symptoms. you describe mainly positive symptoms so maybe it will be a good match?

Edit:
You were on a lower dose of zyprexa, when i was on it i was up to 30 and that still wasn’t enough.

1 Like

Haldol was a nightmare for me. My body would get stuck in an arched position with my arms sticking out shaking. And a bunch of other crap I can’t remember anymore cuz it was long ago.

I am on zyprexa and dietary self-management is a constant struggle, I understand. There are other med options.

The med’s can affect different people differently. The general trend with Haldol is that people find its side effects unpleasant and it increases the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. I have, however, come across people for whom that was no problem. I don’t blame you for wanting to get off Zyprexa. Having diabetes is a major health problem. Haldol is really good for controlling the positive symptom of schizophrenia, but it can be unpleasant to take. I did get a small weight gain on it. You might give it a try, and if you find it too unbearable to take you can try something else.

Geodon is an atypical that doesn’t cause weight gain. I want to try Haldol too though. You have more options.

I find haldol dampens my crazy thinking. Too much and you feel like a animal at the zoo with lots of drooling lol.

Through a lot of experimentation on dosage I’ve settled down on 5mg haldol and 7.5mg zyprexa. I find it is a good combination for me and works well for my delusions, voices and racing thoughts. I don’t have the weight gain most people have though.

I am on Haldol 10mg and it works really good with no side effects. i also take Vraylar both of those combined i only hear and see things 1 time a week

Been on haldol to me it’s been good. Take it with Zoloft. The price is good just a few dollars a month. Does give me stiff muscles but my dr says the all will.

I got real bad akathisia on haldol. Is a magic med for some though.

Haldol works very well. I have been on Haldol injections for 10 years and have not had to go back into the Hospital (cross my fingers) Now I am having some trouble for the last year. My doc may have to up the dose or switch to bi-weely instead of every 4 week. Seems to get bad after 3 weeks. I got diabetes from Zyprexa and have to take insulin now for the rest of my life. There are very few side effects from the Hadol injection

Edit: I quit my meds a few times - it usually takes a few months to end up back in the Hospital

I imagine it wouldn’t be very enjoyable.

I took Invega for 7 months and gained 60lbs, I’m not switching to Haldol and hoping to lose weight, but it sounds like you didn’t have the experience which makes me nervous

I’m a little nervous about this but nothing, including haldol, has stopped my symptoms. I see things less but it doesn’t go away. The paranoia doesn’t go away. Not even with haldol. Would that scare other people?