Is anyone taking haloperidol/ Haldol, or has taken it?

Did you get any side effects? If you got side effects what were they? And if you don’t mind saying, did you gain weight on it? I’m trying to figure out if it’s the right fit for me

I did. I still do, but just 0.3mg. I couldnt tolerate a higher dose. (Before reading: I always get more effects and more side effects than others, also according to the psych).

I got bad side effects on it, but the side effects on other meds were much worse.

I feel in comparison to second generation meds it is quite “pure”. It basicly just numbs you down, in all ways (less emotions, thoughts, energy, motivation, etc).

On sg meds like zyprexa i got the same numbing, but also a range of other issues, more physical ones, like weigth gain, metabolic problems, nightmares, hormonal trouble, etc. Haldol didnt cause any of that in me. I also had worse withdrawals on sec gen meds.

Haldol did cause akathisia recently when i upped the dose for a while.

What i like about Haldol is it works fast and immediately stops all psychosis. It comes at the cost of losing part of your feelings and thoughts. But some people actually like that and say it calms them.

1 Like

In the past orally, and now injection 250mg every 25 days. No side effects

1 Like

I took small dose for 40 years. 1 mg. Sun sensitivity was main side effect for me. a little weight gain first month only.

1 Like

Im on haldol depoy 70.52mg once a month. I lost a lot of weight on this drug. Is also more efficient than risperidone I tried. I also regain sexual function on haldol. I know a lot of patients that start this drug have tardive dyksinesia and jerking movements but hey pass away or are controlled with anti parkinson medication. Is also said that this drug is one that affects more heavily on the negatives like apathy and lethargy.

1 Like

I gained 20 lbs. on Haldol, and the years I was on it were the worst years of my life. I hate that drug.

1 Like

I liked it, but it didn’t work well enough for me. I was in a really high dose and was still having symptoms. I gained a lot of weight on it.

1 Like

It made me a very weird kind of sedate. My psychiatrist also put me on other drugs as I had cogwheel rigidity and movements I couldn’t’ control

1 Like

The first time I was given Haldol I was also on Thorazine, Mellaril & Effexor. I was 14-15 years old and hospitalized in Milledgeville Central State Hospital. I was a walking zombie. Next several times I was given it in shot form and then by pill. I experienced whole body restlessness to the point I couldn’t sit or stand or do anything without feeling like I was going to come out of my own skin. I also experienced tightening of my neck muscles. I just recently (a month ago) took it again very briefly and same symptoms returned reminding me it was indeed the Haldol and no other medications that caused those side effects.
I think it is key to remember though that every person reacts differently to certain medications. Trial and error.

1 Like

I was on 3mg of Haldol for 4 days and it was an awful experience. It gave me overwhelming anxiety, I felt sedated, and I also developed tremors and my akathisia worsened. I hear it works for a lot of people but it was not the one for me.

1 Like

Haldol made my tongue move and hurt and made me drool on myself. I could barely talk. I don’t know if I gained any weight on it because I wasn’t on it for long. A doctor put me on it when I was in the psych ward then my regular doctor quickly put me back on Zyprexa when I got out and told her about my bad side effects.

1 Like

I am on the cosin drug of. haldol clopixol
I have been on the injection for 24 years.
no weightgain no TD symptoms it just wipe out the voices.

1 Like

Your answer is the most accurate. Hence to previous comments it is powerful drug that combats all positive symptoms, but if you experience side effects, they are pretty bad

1 Like