The Problems With The Ticket to Work Program When You Have Schizophrenia

If schizophrenia involved a one shot cure the majority of the time there would be no problem with the Ticket to Work program. A person with schizophrenia could build themselves back off SSI or SSDI fairly easily. However we often take meds for the rest of our lives. The meds load tends to increase as well. These meds are generally not cheap. I have seen generic schizophrenia drugs still costing hundreds of dollars a month. Since many of us struggle to make it through college or not at all the jobs we can obtain do not enable us to cover the expense of the meds. And the health care companies charges to become or remain enrolled can be out of reach for such workers as well. So many people have to quit the Ticket to Work and remain on SSDI or SSI in order to remain stable. I no longer will complain about the medical system’s inability to find a cure for schizophrenia as the growing evidence is that by the time the major symptoms appear it is too late. But I feel that the Ticket to Work program should be more understanding of the costs of the meds we take and the fact we have to continue to take them and not design the program to get those of us who have to take SSI or SSDI off the rolls.

I agree with you.

Some states have a Medicaid or other insurance program for workers with disabilities that can continue coverage of medications if a person goes back to work. Maybe that is available in your state?

It would be harmful to go back to work and have that be the reason you can no longer afford the medication that allowed you to work…

I gave up trying to get SSI and Medicaid. The psychiatrist in charge of the SSI/SSDI applications in my state said to me that I was not disabled enough.

Right now, I am trying to get employed so I can get insurance from my employer. Worst case scenario is that I become self-employed and pay for my own insurance out-of-pocket.

I’m on SSDI, I just got a big increase in how much i get per month. And I’m on medicaid…so my medications are free. And i’m doing ticket to work part time. I can make up to $1100 a month.

So no complaints here.

I’m sorry you were denied please don’t give up. Maybe you can get a lawyer.

1 Like