Schizophrenia, nystagmus, and a question

Hello to all of you, I have a problem…

When I had my psychotic episode, back in november, one of the first things I noticed after I started my path to recovery was that my eyes rolled and moved a lot, back and forth, side to side, and it bothered me when reading, so for some weeks I had to put a lot of effort to advance for just some paragraphs.

Afterward, however, those involuntary movements went away. They disappeared as suddenly as they came, but letting something behind: a considerable pressure on my forehead, around me eyes, and close to my nose. At first this didn’t matter to me, but I was curious and started to read about it, and I found this thing called nystagmus.

Now I’m a little worried, because nystagmus seems to have many causes and I find my pressure a little alarming, for I don’t know if it a sign of something going wrong. It is an itching around my forehead and eyes, a burning itch. I don’t have dancing eyes, however, they work properly (it feels like they healed or something, it’s weird), but the pressure remains.

Do you have something similar? I have read that many people with schizophrenia have eyes that move a lot, so I wonder. Do you think I should worry about it? Should I see a doctor, and if yes, which one? Thank you.

2 Likes

@Darth

Hello.

I have not heard of nystagmus.

I think you should see a doctor, maybe start with an internist. Also, a neurologist and/or ENT doctor may be able to help.

Thank you for the reply. This is nystagmus:

I showed through november to january or early febraury soft symptoms of it. My eyes rolled a bit, nos as much as it is showned here, but a little, and it gave me problems reading. But then, suddenly, I didn’t have it anymore, as if it never occurred to me, but then I had a pressure on my forehead and eyes.

I don’t know if it could be a side effect of medications, but I think that would be very unlikely.

1 Like

You don’t sound like you had nystagmus. As nystagmus never goes away and I know for my dad it resulted in partial sightedness. It was visually impared and registered blind. Couldn’t drive.

My ex boyfriend has nystagmus. I was hallucinating people around me having it before. The best thing to do would be see a doctor.

Thanks for the replies. I talked with my doctor, he told me it could be a side effect of medications. Some pressure in my face or something like that. Anyway, I’ll be ready if something goes wrong.

My eyes flicker side to side a lot. Usually when I’m concentrating or reading (which is often at work) but occasionally when I’m doing nothing more than watching tv.

I’ve had it for a long time, since before I was on meds. I’ve never spoken to a doctor about it because I don’t think it’s alarming, it’s just a quirk.

I don’t get pressure behing my eyes or at my forehead unless I need to wear my glasses.

I have the same as @anon84763962.

My eyes flicker from side to side when I concentrate. Makes it hard to read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=nystagmus+schizophrenia