My friend is sleeping 16 hours every day

Hello. Is there any medication for my friend? He has schizophrenia and so do I, but I only sleep 8 hours, he sleeps 16. Is there any medication that can help with his problem?

For staying awake? None that mix well with schizophrenia >____>

B12 could help though.

Trying a more activating antipsychotic.

1 Like

Gee that’s horrible! I used to do that, and still do periodically if I get depressed. I tend to stockpile caffeinated products specifically for that reason.

I’m a big fan of excedrin migraine as a caffeine booster. It also takes away my migraines! It’s filled with caffeine and it’s probably a bit safer than straight caffeine shots. I also drink a ton a lot of high caffeine teas like yerba mate. I drink it throughout the day to keep me up.

Also, does your friend have a job or school? Maybe he’s sleeping because he doesn’t have anything to do. I know I turned like that recently due to the fact that I had already graduated from the grad program and couldn’t find work— no work and too much time means sleep time for me.

yes to stay awake, how effective is b12 in that regards?

like what? what is a more activating antipsychotic?

I’ve done that before. At the time I was on Haldol, and I was totally demoralized. Abilify might help to activate your friend. It helped me, but it also amp’ed me up a little too much. Maybe you could combine Abilify with an anti-depressant.

1 Like

Abilify is one that doesn’t make you sleep much. I’m on abilify.

I dont think he will like using that much caffeine, he did say he got depressed easily, but thats not the problem I think. He sleeps 16 hours no matter what state of mind he is.

He does not have a job or school, but hes got enough to do. We play games together and talk on teamspeak every day so I dont think thats the problem.

1 Like

I will talk to him about Abilify and anti depressants, thanks.

I’ve seen aripiprazole (abilify) being added as second AP for it’s supposed activating effect. Didn’t work for me and some other people I’ve met too, but maybe for your friend will?

INVEGA keeps me awake

I had some months of sleeping 16 hours a day.

Jayster

Please check my thread in DX’d-other about overcoming chronic fatigue and improving from schizophrenia.