Is anyone else here unable to take meds?

What are those?

1 Like

At one time I couldn’t take meds because of NMS…but it’s unrelated to your issues. I think medications are needed but ultimately it’s up to you. I hope you eventually consider medications some day.

I’m literally going to therapy twice a week to work on my trauma like dude I’m glad you’ve been able to work through most of yours but I’m still working on mine

1 Like

They’re normally only done for treatment resistant sz (or depression). Usually you have to have failed to improve on meds, but you could always ask. ECT uses electricity thru the brain while you are anesthetized. rTMS you sit in a chair while an MRI machine sends magnetic pulses at you. If the reason you’re not taking meds is paranoia, those probably would be an issue. But they’re not meds, so idk?

1 Like

Its a brain current therapy …it help with some symptoms…

Noise, I really do feel for you. I am not hostile at all, you want answers to a question that is slippery. what are the symptoms that meds are recommended for? How do you feel off the medication? How many medications have you tried? Have you researched effective alternatives? There are so many things you have to think about and learn about before you can make a concrete decision. We aren’t here to attack you, everyone who replied wants to help in some way.

1 Like

Ok I apologized to kos, but LED wasn’t exactly the most tactful…

But ok to prove it’s not just me being paranoid the list of professionals I’ve left and why

1. Was a Carbon copy of my abuser, was adamant I had to start antidepressants right away, and threatened to call the cops on me cause she was convinced I was gonna kill myself

2. No sense of boundaries would trigger me and keep pushing way past anything that was comfortable.

3. Didn’t treat trauma

4. Threw me out cause I got triggered and bit her head off

5. Laughed at me when i told her I had a history of depression and suicidal behavior

6. Talked about himself the whole time told me he was gonna reschedule me and never did

7. Kept talking about finances the whole time and was uncomfortable

8. Was good but inexperienced with schiz

9.was a psychiatrist who in the span of an hour told me I was fat depressed and wanted to talk to my abuser because I lacked “integrity” was generally insulting the whole time

1. Is an intern that I’m still seeing every other week

2. Is the boss of the intern and is a complete dick

3. Didn’t work out

4. Is my current therapist

So 13 therapists and why

Ok if anaesthesia is involved I’m gonna have to pass I’m phobic of that. And im not going to lie the concept sounds scary but I’m more open to it than meds. I’ll think about it thank you.

I understand, and the reason that folks tell you to take meds is because its really the most effective way of managing symptoms. I don’t work for a pharmacy and I hate that I was born with an “incurable” whatever, but not as much as the fact that the pharma companies profit highly from it. So, I look for the magic cure all often, keep an eye on the latest mental health news and talk to my doctor a lot. We aren’t trying to hurt you or force you to do something that you don’t want to do, but if you want things the way you want them, you should keep a mental health journal that tracks your symptoms and when they happen, what triggers them as well as practice coping skills like an Olympic athlete trains. it could help and can’t hurt, right?

1 Like

Ok thank you sorry I took it that way. Well my main symptoms are paranoia and hallucinations of all kinds really “delusions” too but depression and anxiety play their parts too. And tbh I’ve never really taken schiz meds cause by the time I got diagnosed I’m just gonna leave it at circumstances didn’t allow me to even try. And I’ve been researching on how to help myself for years and I take a lot of notes on all types of conditions and how people deal with them. Tbh the thing that’s helping me the most right now is my spirituality it helps me stay grounded when nothing else will. But again thank you I’m still trying.

1 Like

That’s good man. Can I tell you what happens to a lot of folks who are on medication without trying to scare you or say its going to happen to you? Usually, after we stabilize, we forget how unbearable life was before meds and concentrate on the side effects and how we are feeling instead of how we are doing. So it starts with missing a dose or two, then that happens more often and while we may be fine at first, our symptoms blind us to what is going on in reality. While we are at that beginning stage, we convince ourselves that the meds aren’t needed and we are fine without them. It isn’t until we spend all of our cash or get kicked out of our homes or mess up a relationship that we realize that something is wrong. A lot of times, we just keep running with it cause we don’t realize what’s going on. By the time we fix things, some of the damage we do can’t be undone. Again, I am not saying that it will happen to you, but its just a cautionary tale that if things get bad for you off your meds, you will remember and take to heart. You matter, everyone of us matter and not just in some ways but in all ways and when I say I care about you and your well being, it’s not BS, its fact cause you are another human being with hopes, dreams, thoughts and desires, just like me and those things should matter. So best of luck, hopefully we will all be here if you need us.

2 Likes

Tbh im pretty bitter at times that i cant take meds cause i know its arguably the most effective way to deal with these conditions. But also they sound just plain scary to me they sound horrible. And then put trauma on top of it I genuinely can’t. It’s really not for lack of trying.

But a journal That’s actually a really good idea I’ll try that!

1 Like

I hear you. Because my brain isn’t right and I have been on anti-psychotics since I was 21, I concentrated on being super in shape and healthy because I hate taking medications, it seems unnatural to me. Last thing I wanted was to be the age I am now and taking psychs with stuff like high blood pressure pills, heart pills, any kind of pills (except vitamins). Working out really, really helps me, especially with depression and eating a great meal after cooking it helps me relax and takes away some of the anxiety. As far as the paranoia, and hallucinations, I have never found anything that’s 100% effective but that’s just me and my physiology. So, work out to get the bitterness and stress out, cook yourself a good meal and watch your favorite show. Stress triggers episodes just like illegal drugs and alcohol abuse. Healthy body, healthier mind.

1 Like

rTMS doesn’t involve anesthesia, but in the US it’s experimental in sz. There are university hospitals and research studies doing it though. I think it is more used in europe.

Tbh im constantly worried cause I can’t do meds it’s a cautionary tale that does make me nervous cause even if I fail idont have an easy way out I can just go to meds cause it could very quickly go entirely wrong. Like I said being suicidal will definitely not help me :confused: but really the support means a lot to me thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Experimental is a no I’m sorry :frowning: thank you for the input though!

There’s nothing you posted that supports this statement especially in light of the fact that you’ve never actually tried the meds.

I think you actually mean “I won’t take meds”

If you’re not going to take meds, your best bet is to regularly see a therapist. And, no, your therapist is not trying to kill you. I suspect that thought is you or your untreated illness trying to sabotage your own treatment plan.

2 Likes

I should work out more i recently started doing some small things like squats and push ups and such but I’m trying to work on doing more. But cooking is kind of weird for me cause I’m actually kind of recovering from a little bit of an eating disorder plus some food problems from the schiz and I’m a lot better than I was but sometimes food causes more stress so on my good days I’ll try to do that though!

I practice witchcraft (like wicca) and it’s helped me immensely with my hallucinations and delusions cause I gives me ways to ground myself.

I was put on everything from adhd meds to anti depressants to mood stabilizers from the time I was 8 til the time I was about 16 against my will. So no it’s more than just I won’t. You know nothing of my past. I’m not trying to sabotage my treatment that’s why I’m asking for advice.

So it sounds like you have consistently held the position that you won’t take your meds, except that as a child you were apparently over-ruled.