I think I lost my medication

Will medicare pay for a new prescription if I can get one from my doctor? It’s not been 30 days, and I’ve never lost medication before, but I’ve searched my room up and down and cannot find one of my bottles. I’m paranoid that it might have fallen into my recycle bag and taken out to the bin several days ago. (I had enough in my pill box for up to tonight, now I have none. There’s still a small part there’s a spot I haven’t searched yet but I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

Can u buy ur med whenever u like…!!!

My file is on CVS where I always get meds. I’m hoping my mom can help me find them tomorrow. I may have to call my doctor and figure out what I should do. It’s never happened before.

No need to worry.
Call your doctor and get another prescription.
Also inform your pharmacy as to what has happened.

2 Likes

I called my doctor this morning, assuming to leave a message as it is Sunday morning but someone answered and I explained I lost the medication. Luckily I have the name written down on an index card (which lists all the med’s I’m on) I keep in my wallet. Then gave them my pharmacy number. Then to my surprise my doctor called me back within the hour and since we weren’t sure if medicare would pay (since I can’t remember when I filled it last) she suggested just giving me a weeks worth and then send a fresh prescription when that one is over. I think that’s the best solution. So now I’m just waiting to hear from CVS to know when they fill it. If they don’t call me by tomorrow morning I’ll call them…

3 Likes

I think it’d be tough with a benzo or some controlled substance, but with an anti-psychotic it sounds like maybe they’d give it.

Sounds like you got a good solution.

But when I change my dose, I get extra meds that month and medicare covers it.

Like when I went up to 15 mg abilify from 10 mg, a week after I refilled my prescription, they still covered it. And there sounds like a loophole in there somewhere.

The one I’m missing is my anxiety medicine, I’m not sure if they are the same as anti-psychotic.

1 Like

I work in a pharmacy (or at least I did, today was my last day); if your insurance won’t pay on it, they may be able to get a lost prescription override from your insurance company, possibly even for a 30-day supply. There’s no guarantee your insurance company will grant that, but one of the pharmacy techs could call and try it. What was the medication? Sometimes that makes a difference. Like if it was a controlled medication there’s no way they will do it.

2 Likes

Well if it’s your insurance not covering it as the issue, then don’t worry about the class of drugs. The only issue would be if your doctor didn’t believe you lost your anti-anxiety medication. is it a benzo? And he/she might not grant a re-fill. But ignore my confusion, my mind is elsewhere this afternoon.

Oops, meant to give a general reply, not a reply specifically to @Goyankees

2 Likes

My doctor didn’t question me, as it’s the first time this has happened for me and I’ve been with her and on medication since like 2006. we have a good track record together. However the drug, is Clonazepam. I was able to get a refill for a week, and with the end of the month coming up my doctor thinks in the beginning of the month we should be able to send in a full prescription for the drug. Thank you all for the comments and the help.

I should be getting back to my normal self either tomorrow or the day after, since we went over to CVS and I got my week long supply today. I’ve tried calling it in early in the past, like if I knew I was going out of town and the pharmacy wouldn’t fill it because it was “too-soon” but I haven’t tried it recently, and I really couldn’t try it this time around because I didn’t have the prescription number that they print on the bottle.

1 Like

You’re fortunate that they filled it. The pharmacy I worked at would fill a benzo only up to two days early. Some people would take more than prescribed, then lie about having lost it. Some may really have lost it, but we figured most who said that were lying to us. It’s even more strict there for opioid painkillers and controlled ADHD drugs, those can be filled only up to one day early. Same goes for gabapentin, even though it’s not controlled. The one-day rule for gabapentin started there just a few weeks ago.

I’ve never claimed to lose my medicine before, it was the first time it’s happened to me. This Monday I was able to get a full 30 day supply at regular cost. So I’m back to normal with everything.