Grocery stores selling expired food

We have a grocery store here it’s so cheap cuz they sell expired/damaged food. Like a cereal box with a hole in it. For 1.00$. What do you think of this. You can find good stuff here but my roommate says stay away from the produce. Go there spend $20. Get a week of food.

1 Like

Risky business, I got real sick from a expired can of baby shrimp and on pork chops reduced 50%, Know of others that were trying to save money and got sick to. Buyer beware

1 Like

They’re not even in denial about or anything…it’s their selling point. “Get expired food here for cheap!” It’s right next to the dollar store. Bargain shopping center.

I got mine at a well known chain store, never again

1 Like

I don’t know about the US but here in the UK we have “best by” and “use by” labels. It’s not wise to have stuff beyond its use by date, but with best by date it means after that the food is safe but there may be a drop in its quality.
I think it’s about being careful when shopping from these discount food stores…

1 Like

this reminds me of that “Shame, Shame, Shame” thing on this news channel; where a reporter tries to have a reprimanding talk with people who do scandals.

We have those stores here in California too. If this particular place has been there for a significant number of years than I would assume that its customers aren’t getting sick or dying from their products including produce. If there selection was making people sick than they would not stay open for long, they would have been shut down by the health department. I think its a great deal.

Their products I believe come directly from regular supermarkets. If a clerk in most major supermarkets chains is stocking a can of peaches and he accidentally drops it and puts a small dent in it, they can’t sell it so they will sell it to places like you are talking about. The contents are perfect inside but it has a small dent in it. It’s kind of common knowledge that the “Best by” or “expiration” dates on groceries doesn’t mean that you have to throw it out the day the can says its expired. Depending on the product it can last another week or month or even six months.

2 Likes

Some people think disabled people should only have such food but it is ones choice where one spends ones money.

I have bought really nice food from pantry.cheap.

A man I knew who was homeless said he lived on a boat shelter with his own tiny room and they got dinners from local restaurants left overs.
He said the meals were great n fancy some of them too.
He loved :gift_heart: the food.
Left overs one to two days old .so pretty fresh n not dangerous to eat.

They had lots of free meals apparently n good quality ones too.

I’d stay away from seafood…and be wary of the dairy…but I think most of those dates are sell by dates not this ■■■■ is gonna rot the day after dates…sounds like a steal on cereals and such though…

1 Like