Do you agree with my psychiatrist?

I saw my psychiatrist today.

She told me to don’t mind the symptoms and the breakdown, and to go to my trip to Lisbon anyway. She said that if I don’t go, I will stay in my apartment all the week and then it would be even more difficult for me to come back at my job because I would have been doing nothing.

Do you agree? I don’t know what to think about that because I feel so tired and sometimes weak.

Thanks

3 Likes

I agree that she is right to encourage you. I’ve been told countless times to not worry about symptoms as well by a pdoc. Lisbon. Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe it will distract you a bit.

3 Likes

Unless you think it’ll be really tough and debilitating and uncomfortable, I think your psychiatrist has a good point! I hope you go to Lisbon and have the time of your life

1 Like

well I couldn’t do it…if you stay home that would be a good time too…for me anyways…good luck.

1 Like

If you don’t think you can handle Lisbon than maybe plan a few local events to get you out of your apartment. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy or expensive. And the rest of the time just relax and take it easy and enjoy your time away from work.

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree with 77nick77.

3 Likes

Do what you feel you can do @anubis.
You are the best judge.

1 Like

It’s really difficult for me to know because I have never done a trip in Europe or in a foreign country like that in my life. I don’t have any idea of if it is hard and tiredsome.

What would help me is that I will be rejoining my parents who are already in Portugal actually. We would be in an apartment in Lisbon. They would be waiting for me at the Lisbon airport. They said to me we wouldn’t do too much tiresome activities.

2 Likes

Well then you might be able to handle the trip.
Just make sure you have the option to rest somewhere.

1 Like

Best of luck whatever you decide.

2 Likes

I think if you’re not psychotic and just tired and having somatic symptoms, you should go. You’ll probably have them either place. You may as well distract yourself. To minimize the physical stress, see if you can get pedi cabs for sightseeing.

1 Like

She didn’t listen to your concerns about the low blood pressure?? Or whatever it is that it’s causing? How are you supposed to enjoy a trip if you can’t walk…there’s got to be some sort of solution for that…

I know when I was on geodon I became scared to leave the house bc of how severe the side effects were, w the sedation & low blood pressure.

2 Likes

Hello @Anna. I have checked my blood pressure and it is ok.

My psychiatrist thinks that I am able to walk even if I have tachycardia. She told me to don’t mind the symptoms.

She asked me to try to walk a little more each day from now.

@Anubis I think that for your job you need to practice?
Can’t you do something similar at home?

1 Like

Hello @Chess24.

You mean to prepare myself coming back to my job?

Yes , to prepare by practicing stuff that you are expected to do at your job.
If you can practice well at home you will probably manage at the job as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chess24!!! I think this is a really good advise you are giving me. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am already doing simple works for my current employer. I told them that I would do any work that is not too much demanding for me. I could try to do work that is a little harder to prepare myself.

1 Like

I just did as my psychiatrist asked. I didn’t mind the symptoms and the tiredness.

So I went to take a walk of about 1 km. I was not feeling so well so I had to walk slowly. My heart beat was about 120. I don’t think it is normal to be so high.

Until now, I don’t feel so bad.
I’d like Ziprexa to fix this tachycardia issue.

I have not been feeling well in the last days. So I started worrying about my new job which I will start on October 10 and which I would lose if I am still sick.

So I went to a clinic to see a doctor because I was having tachycardia at 135 when standing up. They did some tests and more are planned in the following week.

I asked the doctor for his opinion on my trip to Lisbon and he answered me that, considering my sickness and the symptoms I am having, if he was me, he would not certainly go on a trip!

I think that my psychiatrist’s advise is not really good. She suggested me to go on a trip despite I can barely walk and I am so tired and also considering that I am starting a new job right away when I would come back. It makes me think that my psychiatrist doesn’t take seriously at all my condition and my symptoms.

I now think that it is really more wisdom to stay here in Québec city to give me the chance to heal the more possible to be prepared for my new job. After all, a travel can be tiresom especially because of jet lag.

With all the mistakes my psychiatrist did and she is still doing now and with her bad advise about my trip, my confidence in her is now pretty much very low. It is too bad this is not possible here in Québec to choose our psychiatrist and to change it. I’m stuck with her.

I will not be able to ask her opinion anymore because I don’t trust her advices anymore.

My psychiatrist admitted her mistakes recently. She said she shouldn’t have put me on a so low dosage of antipsychotic, which is the cause of my breakdown. Then she admitted last week that she shouldn’t have used Saphris to try to solve the breakdown because she said it is not a medication usually used in a crisis. I lost 2 weeks because of that. Then she put me on too much low dose of Zyprexa (7.5), which lowers the chance of success and make the recovery even longer.

So all that to say that I would need a miracle to go on my trip and that I am not happy about my psychiatrist’s recent decisions and advises.

As far as I know, you’re not diagnosed with anything for which there is a standard protocol. So your doctor has to kind of make it up as she goes along. She’s not psychic.

What would be the worst case scenario if you went on your trip?

1 Like