Anyone on seroquel?

I was on seroquel many years ago only at 100mg i think, too long ago to remember what it was like. I remember having sexual side effects. Do you take seroquel and is it an effective med. I asked for it a couple of years ago but the pdoc said it wasn’t a good med and that being on it alone i would relapse.

I’m on 400 mg a day and just started 5mg abilify in the mornings 3 days ago… the seroquel I think works rather good with me… it’s sedative in the sense that, it removes a lot of anxiety for me. not yet sure about the abilify. I zone-out and have a lot of positive symptomps (hallucination/blurred speach and delusions) but I’m still coping with the fact that I’m sz :s

In my experience I have found seroquel is pretty good. But I also take a second AP. Some anecdotes that it is good when anxiety/mood problems are present.

1 Like

I was on seroquel alone and had numerous relapses.

I’m on Seroquel with Geodon. That combination has kept me from having any psychotic breaks for over ten years with few side effects. You might try that combination yourself.

2 Likes

They don’t have Geodon here in the UK

You don’t have ziprasidone? Maybe you could find some other drug to combine with the Seroquel.

Something to do with it effecting the heart i think. I think they have it in the rest of Europe though.

Interesting, it was pulled from the UK market after concerns about cardiac issues according to an ultra quick Google search.

I have Quetiapin (Seroquel) 300 mg and Abilify 25 mg. Quetiapine makes me sleep in the evening. Also keeps depression away I think. I have anhedonia and apathy. Don’t know if it is from meds or the illness.

hows geodon compared to seroquel working?

hey, in what way do you feel abilify is working on you compared/in affect with, to the seroquel?

I was on it for three months. It majorly sedated me. I took it at night and it helped me sleep but it made it extremely hard to get up in the morning.

Ive never tried geodon, I was on abilify after seroquel. I was never stable on seroquel, and was stable on abilify 10mg. I desperately want to make abilify work, but can’t tolerate it due to getting the anxiety side effect.

Abilify activates me. I can do the dishes for example. It takes all day to motivate myself but I do it. Seroquel sedates me in the evening. I also have ADHD. Abilify makes my mood stable, I am not angry anymore.

Only side effect I’ve noticed is fatigue and low blood pressure some times. Usually when I have anxiety in the evening. Maybe it’s caused by anxiety. I have voices telling me my meds are poison. That causes anxiety.

Only med that completely erazed the voises was flupenthixol. But that made me a robot.

I’ve gotten a few slight chest pains lately, some starting to seem serious. I think it might be from the Geodon.

I met a girl at the pharmacy who had been taking Seroquel for 3 years and had put on loads of weight. I guess it depends on the person, but she was jealous I was being put on Ability - She is Bipolar

Yeah, I’m just a bit nervous cous, I get 200 mg seroquel coupled with 5mg abilify in the morning, and then 200mg seroquel at night. What I’ve read tells me, that the abilify is like, the opporsite of abilify? How can a doc allow that?

If you meant to say that Seroquel is the opposite of Abilify, I’ll respond that their mechanisms of action are subtly but sufficiently different. Seroquel is more sedating (it is currently the #1 sleep aid in post-op wards these days). Abilify is far stimulating. Even though they both block Da receptor sites. So a savvy p-doc will often combine them to get the “best” effects of both.

I’m still on low-dose Seroquel after 11-1/2 years. For me, the stuff is terrific. BUT… I understand this:

1. All psych meds have sfx.

2. The sfx tend to be more pronounced at higher doses (that may or may not be required to get the job done).

3. Our bodies are so genetically and epigentically diverse that a good med for Jack may be an awful med for Jill.

See also http://www.drugs.com/comments/quetiapine/seroquel-for-schizophrenia.html.

2 Likes