Anyone found an alternative or natural antidepressant?

I cant take antidepressants ssri as they make me psychotic, iv had depression for years and its only getting worse.
Has anyone found relief in anything natural or alternative?

Kava root tea helps me with anxiety, which is a different but related problem. Maybe it would help you too. But, it breaks down in your liver, so donā€™t mix it with Tylenol or alcohol, and, as always, check with your doctor first.

Hmm im half polynesian so i know abit about kava from friends and family that have taken it, i dont think it would help for depression its more like a benzo then anti depressant.
but thanks for idea ill consider trying it

I used to drink Kava a little bit, they actually have kava bars here in America in the more hipster neighborhoods. I heard it could cause really bad liver damage, but the poleynesians never seemed to have any problems.

Thereā€™s a certain potentially addictive drug used to treat depression thatā€™s legal, a natural opioid that has certain strains, some that have anti-depressant purposes. kratom. but i donā€™t recommend it as it could lead to bigger and badder stuff

also st. johns wort comes to mind

have you tried the anti-psychotics that are better for treating depression such as abilify. risperdal and seroquel yet?

1 Like

Where do you get kratom?

I have tried st johns wort it made my symptoms worse too, im treatment resistant schizophrenic taking risperdal it works about 75% for my symtoms but does nothing for depression i cant take clozapine because of my blood count is to low.

on the internet

its considered to be on the ā€œgrey marketā€

you canā€™t use paypal to buy it because its frowned upon, but not enough to make it illegal, hence grey market and not black market

i dont recommend it, but its better than using hydrocodone

1 Like

i never had the self control for kratom @stillhavehope

you build up a tolerance so fast, you gotta wait like 24 hours between using

i admit it was enjoyable, but i would use that stuff like once it wore off and then you wouldnt feel anything

they have different strains, some are stimulating, some are mind-numbing, some treat anxiety, some treat depression. its a common medicine since ancient times, far less dangerous than opiates, but like i said i dont have the self control for it

I probably wouldnā€™t have the self control either. Iā€™m too much of an addict. Esp if the stuff is legalā€¦ But I donā€™t have the means to go through with it and buy it. Maybe once I get some money I will try.

But when Iā€™m on opiates I have an overwhelming feeling of just being okay. Like everything is OKAY. And its so nice every once in a while because I go through so much on the daily. My mind needs a break once in a while. Lol

if you do order it, order a one-time use dose so you can only use it once and then youll run out of it, because ā– ā– ā– ā–  just gets foggy if you re-use it twice in one day, nothing good happens. thats what i used to do with psychedelics, i would buy a 1 time use dose or else id be doing that ā– ā– ā– ā–  two days in a row and thats a good way to hurt your mind

im too much of an addict to do anything, 39 days sober though!

1 Like

Congrats on being sober for so long. I know its hard.

1 Like

You could try this tea.

St johns wort - Does conflict with some meds if you are on any at all. Talk to your pdoc or pharmacist first if so. Very good for Depression and anxiety.

Omega-3 Very good for all the mental disorders including Depression.

Vitamin B group all good for the brain and mental disorders.

Folic acid is good for depression

Is also a sup around called SAMe a lot of people diagnosed with depression and Bipolar swear by it.

CBD oil, or cbd e liquid can work meaby. Havent tried

Saint johns wort caused my first psychosis. I hate st johns wort.

@Opus I cannot tolerate any kind of Antidepressant or Stimulating medication - it can send me into Mania and Psychosis.

You can try a mood stabilizer like Lamictal, it has good Antidepressant properties.

Caffeine can have an antidepressant effect.

But too much caffeine can make you not sleep which makes depression worse.

Just one or two cups of coffee, perhaps. And with sugar. Sugar is a classic ailment for everything.

2 Likes

I worked in the vitamin section at wholefoods and anything with SamE was a popular item

Get off risperdal it exacerbates negative symptoms. Once ur on a high enought dose u get overwhelming side effects in the form of cognitive slowing, sedation (sleeping 16hrs), prolactin elevation, and exacerbated negative symptoms.

1 Like

People have mentioned that sarcosine helps and there is some research to support this idea:

here is more info on the research into it helping depression:

ā€œSeveral studies have shown rapid and robust antidepressant effects with pharmacologic blockade of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) using ketamine. Now a new study suggests that enhancing NMDAR function with the drug sarcosine may also produce antidepressant effects.ā€

and

It may not be the next Prozac, but sarcosine, a substance found in muscles and other body tissues, is showing potential as a possible treatment for depression.

In a brief, six-week trial on depressed patients, sarcosine even outperformed the antidepressant citalopram (Celexa).

Sarcosine is a derivative of glycine, the smallest of the amino acids. It has previously shown to help patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) [and schizophrenia].

and

Inhibitors of the glycine transporter type 1 (GlyT1) are currently among the most promising substances for drug treatment of psychiatric disorders. Their application in schizophrenic disorders is the most developed, the GlyT1 inhibitor from Roche (BitopertinĀ®) is in clinical phase III trials.The starting point for this development were studies of Guochuan Tsai and co-workers with sarcosine. Sarcosine is a naturally occurring amino acid, a GlyT1 inhibitor, which has proven to be effective against all psychopathological dimensions in schizophrenia. The same group has now investigated the hypothesis that sarcosine ā€“ via facilitation of glutamatergic neurotransmission ā€“ should also have antidepressant properties. The researchers have recently published the results of their studies in rats and humans in the prestigious journal ā€œBiological Psychiatryā€ (Huang et al., Biol Psychiatry 2013, 74: 734-741).

http://www.mind-and-brain-blog.de/en/1628/is-the-glycine-transporter-inhibitor-sarcosine-also-effective-in-depression/