Advice for family members

Sorry, I’m new to this, scared, & I am trying to better understand. My brother is in the process of getting diagnosed. He mentioned voices telling him that he was Satan, how they wanted to make him bad, and how he just wanted it all to stop. He has trouble sleeping sometimes and I can hear what I think is him talking back to the voices. Does anyone have any advice so I could better help him get though his psychosis? I’ve done research online but I still feel like there’s only so much I can understand not being the one actually dealing with the voices.

Well first off you have to understand that to a lot of us these things seem very real to us. Second you can NOT make him get help unless they are a danger to themselves or others.

Tell him the devil only wants those who believe he’s doing things that aren’t too terribly bad, and hopes people give him a chance.

Step on his tail, poke him in the eyes and tell him to take off that suit and go sit back down in the casa blanca until we tell him to get up.

Thanks. I understand. He agreed to see a psychiatrist in a couple weeks…but for the time being, it’s been hard. Like we’ve entered a new world and we’re still trying to adjust and trying to learn how to function.

1 Like

It can be hard for the first year or two… you gotta be prepared to stick with him… he might have good reactions to some meds and bad to others… the hardest part for many family members is getting their family to go to the pdoc.

1 Like

There is actually a family support area on this website. Maybe one of the mods can post a link. Hopefully, he will listen to you when you suggest he go talk to a Dr. Maybe suggesting that it can help him sleep better and feel better. The chances are meds can help him if you can get him to that point.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think a family support group would help a lot!

2 Likes

@Ninjastar, @Moonbeam or @Rhubot, can you post a link to the family support forum?

1 Like

@Hiimroy I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Moonbeam
Volunteer Moderator

3 Likes