Zyprexa hunger

Does anyone here who takes Zyprexa (olanzapine) have extreme hunger and appetite?

I’m trying to water fast and it seems impossible.

Really thought this says zyprexa burger. :grimacing::rofl::joy:

But, yes. Zyprexa made me super hungry all the time. Most APs do.

I’ve gained quite a bit of weight on Zyprexa. It decreases my paranoia though so I’m happy with it.

I have gained 150lb on any med. Its more the negative symptoms of SZ like lack of energy and motivation that cause weight issues. I rarely get out of my bed and never exercise.

1 Like

It’s never given me extra hunger or weight gain. It has, however, made me pre-diabetic. I’m on 7.5 mg, but I was on 10 mg for four months.

I seem to be in the minority here, almost every other person I know who takes it has had to deal with weight gain. The only medicine I ever took that made me super hungry and therefore led to weight gain was Seroquel. On that med I’d wake up at 2 or 3 in the morning hungry as heck and go eat a fourth meal before going back to bed. I gained 12 pounds and then switched to another antipsychotic and lost the weight.

I have been insatiably hungry since getting on… something. I started several meds at once, so I don’t know for sure what it is. Vraylar? Prozac? Increase in Saphris? I don’t know… But I do know that I’m gaining weight. I am find with myself like I am now. I just want to stay the same darned size. I am tired of going up and down.

I gained 100+ lbs in 6 months on the max dose of Saphris.

Wow thanks for the replies. It seems a lot of us here struggle with eating while taking this class of medications. I hope we can overcome it.

I seriously called this side effect “zyprexa hunger”.
But yes, I had immense hunger when I was on this antipsychotic.

yes that is nothing new. i gained 30lbs in 6 months.

I’m on zyprexa, only drug that works for me , I gained, now at a comfortable weight, still chubby tho, After Eating one Oreo I soon ate the whole box in a day. I realized the more added sugar I ate the more I craved, that and bread. Bread makes me hungry too. I make a soda bread and it stops the craving for more than regular bread

I gained 60 lbs. in 120 days while on Zyprexa. You might ask if you can try Geodon. It’s really good about handling your psychosis without making you unhappy and dulling your mind. Some people swear by Geodon.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.