Would you date someone with schizophrenia?

As a person with schizophrenia

Why or why not?

3 Likes

I’m married. That said if I were not married I wouldn’t date someone with schizophrenia. We can’t both have mental health issues. That would be too hard for me.

6 Likes

No I wouldn’t. I already have enough sz problems and I don’t want to put up with more from another person.

5 Likes

I would. How could I expect someone normal to understand, just my opinion.

11 Likes

No. It’s hard enough with other illness’ and it would be too much drama for me.

3 Likes

I’m not really interested in dating, but if I were, it would depend on the level of recovery of the other person, I think . Someone without much in the way of positive symptoms, like myself, I think might be ok. Not sure that I could/would want to deal with a person actively in psychosis everyday irl , however.

2 Likes

I like nice people pretty much. But its very complex mostly. Im also a recluse and loner. Im not really boyfriend material. But at the same time i would make an excellent father and husband but i dont mind being a loner. I had a girl tell me im like the perfect guy but i disagree sort of. But yes i would to answer most accurately

My boyfriend has ptsd.

I have x boyfriends with mental health issues too such as bipolar (manic depression).

I have dated “normies “ but not often.

I had a boyfriend with schizophrenia once.
I couldn’t stay with him because all he spoke about was Jesus and he threatened to kill me and was too symptomatic.

I would perhaps date a schizo if they were stable and on medication and preferably no positives active such as voices.

I rather not date a schizophrenic though.
Having voices and delusions makes it difficult to have a relationship but if they were stable and on medication and had no positive symptoms maybe yeah.
Perhaps.

A “normie” might not accept me doing nothing and may not understand me and can therefore not give me the love I need from my partner.

1 Like

I’m married like @SpringRose, but back when I was dating I made a decision to avoid anyone else with a mental illness. I have a one Tasmanian Devil per household policy.

4 Likes

Therapists observed long ago that schizophrenics tend to rapport.

3 Likes

Yes, and years of watching the Unusual Beliefs forum have taught me that it can often end badly.

1 Like

Sure I would, as long as they were mostly recovered and we shared similar interests. I love people who think outside the box.

5 Likes

It all depends if you click together or not. Judging from some of the reports I’m getting about relationships there are a lot of people who are worse than nothing.

3 Likes

No, thank you. I do not want to be a target.

2 Likes

I saw a movie called The Guilty 2021
And i did not watch it knowing its related to sz, but was watching just like that, and when the cute voice lady spoke, i did not know in the initial stages, later when she spoke of snakes in her ok not breaking the spoiler of the movie.
I got to know how risky is having a partner with sz.
I dont want to enter this path,
Very dangerous when I get convinced of something not real.

1 Like

I probably would. You would have something in common and be able to understand where your date is coming from.

3 Likes

I dated a girl with schizophrenia for about three months. She was one of the nicest woman I ever met and she seemed to like me a lot. It went OK; I wasn’t working at the time and had no car; I used to take a bus for an hour and half to visit her one week and the next week she would take the bus to visit me. For our dates we went to art galleries or had coffee at the local bowling alley or at a restaurant. I met her parents and stayed overnight at their house. They heard me throwing up in the morning, lol, that was hard to explain. Yeah, she was really nice and she used to enjoy getting all dressed up nice for me in nice dresses. She had some odd delusions that weren’t really too troublesome. She looked great in a bikini.

6 Likes

I don’t discriminate at all.

How single am I right now?

:crazy_face: :roll_eyes: :broken_heart:

5 Likes

I would as long as they are not too focused on their delusions. I think it’s important they can see things in perspective.

2 Likes

A few years ago - i would have probably said yes. But nah. I have visions of us bouncing off each others “issues” and driving us both bonkers lol.

The chap below is sz as well - and i went out for a drink with him one day - but all he could say was that he was proud he got his “psychic licence” and he would heal my chackras. :crazy_face:

3 Likes