Worried about my nine year old

So my nine year old has mentioned that he has started hearing and seeing things. He says that they are real things. Like he thinks the phone is ringing and it isn’t or he thinks people are talking to him and they aren’t. When he is looking at things they will pull apart as two things and fracture. I don’t remember experiencing this as a child. Is this a normal child thing? He calls them hallucinations but I think it’s because he hears me talking to my doctor about my symptoms. I’m just freaking out as a mother.

3 Likes

It might be worth it to have it checked out, just in case.
Hallucinations are more normal in younger children.

My symptoms started around 9 (even though I’d heard voices since I was 5)

1 Like

My oldest, which is 11 started hearing and seeing things last year. I’ll be taking her to a psychologist this year to see what’s going on. My symptoms showed up around 8 years old.

1 Like

If your child is starting to have symptoms of schizophrenia, and the doctors do find there’s a possible diagnosis, comfort yourself that he gets early intervention.
Some people go half their lives feeling wrong and misplaced before they’re finally diagnosed, and for some, it’s too late to break out of the psychosis.
With early intervention, his chances for a healthy, meaningful life improves.
You’re right to be concerned. It shows you care.

I once babysat a girl who saw shadow people and had anxiety, but her parents didn’t take her seriously. They told me she was just saying those things to get out of going to bed, even though I could recognise the fear in her eyes. I felt powerless that I could do nothing but comfort her when I babysat.

To this day I think about her and wonder how she’s doing.

1 Like

Yah I had it since I was a small child but my parents were unaware until I was twenty that I was suffering. They felt really bad in retrospect. I don’t want that to happen to him.

There’s also the possibility he loves mom and wants to be like her

3 Likes

I hope to God that’s what’s going on.

2 Likes

I won’t name names but there are some people who are very much against the existence of childhood schizophrenia and medicating children thusly. I will not name names of any members because that is not my style. So I’m trying not to be defensive about it. But I had it since childhood and I’m just afraid that he is going to have it too.

If he does have it, he’s lucky to have a caring mother who understands his struggles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Research has confirmed repeatedly that the earlier that people get treatment for the early signs of mental illness (especially schizophrenia and related disorders) the better the long term outcome for the person.

You can read more here:
The Importance of Early Treatment for Schizophrenia and Psychosis

Also, here is list of Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers. Maybe there is one near where you live.
Worldwide Early Diagnosis & Treatment Centers for Psychosis & Schizophrenia

2 Likes

It very well could be just childhood hallucinations, I had them too.

Umm… Your diagnosis is schizophrenia.

Yeah, but that was before my complete break from reality, I know a lot of other people that also has childhood hallucinations and they ended up fine

1 Like

I dunno. I just feel like 9 is a bit old to suddenly begin having normal childhood hallucinations. I’m not a doctor though, I could be wholly wrong.

1 Like

Yeah you’re probably right 9 might be too old for those, I had mine more like 4 or 5.

1 Like

I’d definitely take him to a child psychiatrist if I were you. I had to do that with my son when he was about six years old. He was given a clean bill of health at six. But, he grew up to have sz when he was about nineteen years old.

Sorry to hear that @anon78876561 . I would get him checked out just to be safe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.