Working while having episodes

I’ve been doing well for a while, but recently things have been getting worse. I’m a student teacher, so I’m teaching full time while taking college classes. This semester I have to make a portfolio and I think the stress of that along with just how intense this semester will be has put me over the edge.

I’ve had three episodes in less than two weeks. I haven’t had any major, long-term episodes in three years so I feel thrown off. The first two I was thinking that maybe it’s just a couple of bad days. But the third one came and I can tell this isn’t the end of it.

I’m worried about teaching in front of my kiddos. I’m worried I’ll have an episode at work in front of them. I’m worried I won’t be able to finish this semester and get certified. So does anyone have advice on how they manage working full-time with their diagnosis? (I’m schizoaffective btw). I’m just terrified of what is yet to come.

1 Like

The forum says its been 2 years since your last post. Welcome back!

2 Likes

Is there anyway to reduce your workload? Stress and anxiety usually aggravate my SZ symptoms.

1 Like

I could probably ask my mentor teacher to help out a little bit but other than that not really. Especially with my college classes, I’m gonna have to go all in.

Are you on any meds? Which meds are you on?

I worked for a year in accounting while having symptoms but I wasn’t fully psychotic or in danger.

I’m on Rexulti. my psychiatrist is upping my dose but I’m still worried.

1 Like

How was that? Were you able to manage?

I think you need to increase the dosage or change Ap. Talk to your doc.

1 Like

Some people ignore their positive symtpoms and try to work without taking notice of it. Sorry i cant help more. I have schizophrenia and havent been able to work for nearly two years now

2 Likes

Fair play to you for working! Anyway regarding your query, Best call in sick. And get a doctors note for proof. Think about whether you need extended time off or not? A break from the stress maybe good. Tell them you have an emergency that’s needs urgent care? Anything!

1 Like

Update: Had an episode at work. It was really hard hiding it from my kiddos. I don’t know about taking time off because I’m still a student teacher. I technically only get 4 days off this semester and I’ve already used one. I can’t miss my classes at university either, they will barely accept any excuses for that. I’m honestly rethinking my career. Idk if this is a viable career choice if this continues.

2 Likes

Your priority should be getting meds or increasing the dosage. Why haven’t you talked to your doc?

Have you tried olanzapine before bedtime as an add on treatment?

I worked during episodes. It was pretty sketchy. Imagine working at the edge of a roof and are screaming at you to jump off it all day. Pretty stressful ■■■■.

2 Likes

Well, if you’re gonna switch careers anyway there’s no harm in taking some time off. I’d do that and use my time to think things through, as from what you described you’ve been doing really well for a long time. The way I see it, you shouldn’t let got of the work you put in during 3 years over 2 weeks of symptoms.
I personally feel like I should quit every time I get any symptoms, but I’m glad I never went through with it because things have worked out in the end so far.

2 Likes

I did talk to my doc about it. She’s increasing my meds but the pharmacy needs to restock them first.

1 Like

This was really good advice. Maybe I’m just having a bad spell and it’ll pass and you’re right, I shouldn’t let two weeks make me forget about my passion. Thank you so much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.