Work... why do I even bother?

I’ve made my way through another job. That’s 22 jobs (and counting). When I took the job, I thought ‘this is the one. I am gonna stay here for at least a couple years.’ I was fooling myself. The job was as a sales associate and I got the job after interviewing well for it. I lasted seven days. When it came down to actually performing the work, I was an utter mess. I could not remember names or companies and certainly did not have the gift of gab. I took the job thinking ‘I can do this, I can do this.’ My affirmations did not help me with job however, and I resigned less than two weeks into it. So why do I bother? Hope. Hope that there is something out there I can do and contribute to a greater cause. I think I’ll refine my search to a non-profit organization and part time. Live and learn.

5 Likes

I got to that point myself, so I know how you feel. Every job I’ve had I had high hopes about it and felt like I could do it and when I get in there it was a whole different story. I haven’t had 22 jobs, but I’ve had enough of them that I am afraid to give it another go. I’m not giving it up totally though, if my medication situation improves enough I would like to find a less difficult part-time job. Good luck to you in your next job move.

Thanks for your comment and understanding. I just don’t want my sz to be a deterrent to a good job. I just have the accept the fact that I can’t work a normie job like sales. A shot to my pride, but one that I have to ultimately accept. Just grateful I am on disability. Will try again soon.

1 Like

i chose jobs always to fit in with my illness, which meant ;
i had to work alone (most of the time ),
always outside or driving in the fresh air,
plus flexible (ish) work hours. i have been self empolyed for the past 15 years or so.
being sz is no different to being in a wheelchair, in that we have to recognise what we can and can not do.
take care

5 Likes

I think there is something to that. I noticed I do better working outside than indoors.

2 Likes

I am a gardener and I’m mostly out in the field or in the green houses by myself. I have a few meetings here and there, but not much.

The job I have, flex hours, outside, few people… is the only reason why I can have the job. Office work or anything like that? Can’t do it.

Sales is a hard job even for “normies” - lots of people don’t have the aptitude or personality for it - and thats ok. There are many other jobs that don’t involve as much interaction with people (and potential rejection). All this means is that that specific job wasn’t a good fit for you - there are a million different jobs out there. There is bound to be one that is a good fit.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to think of the perfect job, but I’ve come up empty so far. I was thinking of volunteering for places to see where I am most comfortable and since it’s volunteer I wouldn’t have to work about a paycheck and stuff. (Plus, being on SSDI, volunteering would make me feel like I’m actually contributing.) Then once I find a job that I can do, I’ll find a paid version of it and hopefully it will work out.

I was a sales associate/manager at my last job too. I was originally good at it, but losing thoughts while selling stuff doesn’t help. Add paranoia, memory and motivational problems and I’m lucky I didn’t get fired before I went on leave of absence.

@gene… Keep up the faith…I have the same problem…Im unemployed 17 yrs and actually feel totally unskilled…Im kinda nervous about getting back involved with the workforce although I do feel I have great understanding for the mental health field, but I feel I lack the neck to go for it. But I will try…as I say to myself I must be 10 times better than those 22 yr old graduates from college, as I have 20 yrs of mental illness as experience.

Don’t think of it as getting a job, think of it more as “research and development” keep the experience “experimental”. Trial and error. Whatever you call it, try to keep it a good experience by remembering you are not your job, no matter how long (or short) you keep it.
Everything in life is transitional, including your likes, wants and needs. If it didn’t work out to your liking, it’s good that you didn’t spend too much time on it and know to move on.
It was only a failure if you call it that.

Sales jobs are difficult for a lot of personality types. Regrettably there are a lot of them in today’s economy.because people leave after 2 weeks. Some places have ads in the paper for years.

You should always ask in a job interview if there is a lot of turn over. People coming and going may not be the best place to go but then there are places with no turn over and they will expect you to be in with them like family.

It is up to you. take what you like and are interested in… if you can.

Soup