With the antipsychotic I am not interested in my personal hygiene

Without the antipsychotic, on the contrary, I bathe every day without exception.

Does this happen to anyone else? Do you know what could be the reason?

APs only treat the positive symptoms, and often make the negative symptoms worse, for which there is no treatment.

4 Likes

Therapy helped greatly by providing me with coping strategies I can use to mitigate my negatives.

2 Likes

I’m the same. My self-care suffered from AP use. Then again, being catatonic and believing taking a shower would send me to hell, wasn’t helping my personal hygiene much either. :slight_smile: I’m now off AP and stable, and doing better with self-care. Though it still feels like a bit of a chore, which it never was before. I pray I stay stable. Declining self-care for me is a signal of sliding into delusions and needing to start up meds again.

1 Like

That’s great for you, but therapy doesn’t work for most people’s negative symptoms.

I don’t think there’s any amount of therapy which would eliminate my negatives, personally.

I’m confident, and I love myself fully. I still struggle with self care.

5 Likes

That’s because most people seem to discount therapy without giving it an honest shot. Self-fulfilling prophecy, etc.

It kept failing for me until my life sucked enough that I opened up to giving it an honest effort.

2 Likes

I agree that some people want to be sick.

However, negative symptoms are not depression. If we were talking about depression, I’d be agreeing with you.

2 Likes

Jesus. No. Really?

Hadn’t figured that out in over a quarter century until you pointed it out.

Thanks so much for your scillintating insight into my disorder.

1 Like

Ok.

Fifteen fifteen.

3 Likes

Im not sure traditional therapy helps much but if you can train yourself with new habits and just do things by force you can do more. Theres some strategies for that.

The only thing ive noticed is the moment i stop trying to keep the habits i revert back

2 Likes

CBT to the rescue as usual for me. It has helped me re-frame my response to the negs to keep my momentum going. It’s an ongoing struggle for sure. Current problem is that I’ve worn my nose raw with oxygen tubing. Makes me not want to go out using it and I can’t push myself without it.

2 Likes

Yeah this helps for sure. Its pretty easy to have a black and white thinking about negatives.

My therapist had me rate on a scale of 1 to 10 on my level of enjoyment of activities.

Even if i rated a 2 out of 10 thats still in theory more enjoyment than i expected which was 0

2 Likes

It’s funny what you wind up enjoying. I’ve gone into the drink (irrigation canal that runs through town) three times in the same spot photographing incoming storms and such. I actually found it uproariously funny the last time and I giggled all the way back home. Then some more when the wife beast be like WHAT DID YOU DO NOW? I was still soaked when I came in the front door. Things going wrong can make something even more fun.

3 Likes

Haha yep adventure is good for us. I love stuff like that

2 Likes

Risperidone is worsening my negatives!
I had more motivation on Abilify

1 Like

Off meds I shower 1-2x a day. On my current 5mg risperidone I shower 1x a week.

1 Like

I shower every day, I feel gross if I don’t.

3 Likes

on my meds i just dont care
i have to force myself to shower once a week

1 Like

I have a hard time keeping up with hygiene regardless of the medication. It’s negative symptoms, I’m pretty sure

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.