Why I think I shouldn't have children

I also strongly don’t want kids. Luckily my wife doesn’t either. Although we have had a few scares. I don’t want to pass schizophrenic genes on to someone else. It’s interesting to hear that many other people with schizophrenia are fearful of having children…

Yea I would never have kids. Too much to manage and stress would bring me to psychosis :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

That’s the thing… We people cannot handle stress… its a major problem for SZ

2 Likes

It also made me consider whether I’d even have a kid if I didn’t ever get psychotic. It means there has to be a dad involved. It means I have to accept pregnancy risks, and all sorts of other things… I just dunno if it is worth it…

I think most people don’t even plan to have kids… It usually just happens when people drink and screw enough :slight_smile:

A single mother by choice?

I never wanted kids and hope I never will fall pregnant. I’m 36 and looking forward to the end of my fertility years. I just dread the thought of looking after screaming or sick children - it would give me panic attacks and lead to a breakdown. I just can’t handle the stress. I’m a loner and love a lot of time to myself. My husband is enough for me.

My previous pdoc said I would be at risk for post natal psychosis and I think she may be right. My present pdoc asks could I handle the stress? The answer? NO.

If I ever had to have a child I would love him or her but I think my mental health would suffer a lot. Plus they would be traumatised by my illness. I’d set a bad example.

I don’t want kids. I know i wouldn’t be able to handle the stress, and working with children has taught me how quickly an adult’s mannerisms and personality flaws can rub off on a child, and I have too many quirks and negative habits to feel I’d be able to shape something into a responsible, happy, healthy human being.

1 Like

The fact that you would even ask yourself that question means you’re probably better than a lot of people at parenting. I didn’t have children because of my schizophrenia, but it wasn’t because I didn’t want them. It’s too late now. I’m 61. I console myself with the knowledge that if any of my kids were like I was when I was young they would have terrorized me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.