Why do sz's neglect their health so much?

It seems common - why? I have my husband worried about me because I don’t brush my teeth and my filling fell out. And I have bad teeth, a cyst and allergies, all for years and …and… And too hesitant to go for treatment. Too scared and unmotivated and can’t be bothered. Is this common with sz/sza? Why?

4 Likes

Avolition (A lack of motivation) is a common negative symptom of schizophrenia, so yeah, it’s normal.

I brush my teeth and shower every day (with the very very occasional exception). But my room and minivan are a mess and I don’t feel like cleaning them up.But I also have 2 jobs and met some women on Bumble that I hang out with so I don’t think I suffer from avolition, just some good old fashioned laziness.

4 Likes

I have bad teeth not really bad but it’s hard when you’re scared. I think our illnesses can be a big problem. One thing at a time. He’s just concerned about you

2 Likes

I have difficulty going to doctor appointments because I have bad anxiety being around people.

2 Likes

When i was most sick from SZ (i was diagnosed SZA in that period) i was neglecting my own personal hygiene, particularly my teeths.

When i got better i got a normal hygiene rutine. Recently i was to the dentist and because of my former neglect i can look forward to get my teeths fixed for 25.000 dollars. I am now in the process of getting the money.

Take care of your teeth’s above all @Hadeda the rest of the hygine thing is not so important.

The most important thing is to use flossing everyday.

1 Like

yeah. not always known though to just schizophrenics.

I agree with the avolition as a negative symptom.

I have trouble with hygiene myself.

1 Like

can I just say, read history.

I think it’s common because of avolition

1 Like

Managing the illness is such an exhausting task that adding something else to your plate like showering or shaving is almost an imposition. At least that’s how it affects me.

1 Like

These meds make me fat. When I’m fat I just feel lazy.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.