Why do so many schizophrenics smoke?

I always notice how many of us smoke on this board. I also smoked from 2011 to 2018 before quitting. I used to spend 200€ a month on it.

Why do so many of us smoke? Just wondering.

4 Likes

I found an editorial on this topic:

1 Like

Combination of self-medication and nothing better to fill one’s day?

11 Likes

I read on Wikipedia that 85-90% of schizophrenics smoke lol Theres also those who vape like me.

4 Likes

I agree, vaping keeps me awake like caffeine and gives me something to do in my free time which is basically 24/7 lol

5 Likes

In the article they basically come up with a bunch of unsubstantiated theories about ‘maintaining control’, ‘managing stress’. They even go as far as claiming that tobacco can cause psychosis.

Basically they don’t know.

2 Likes

Without my caffeine and nicotine I sleep 24/7 in my bed, drowsy and sedated from meds.

4 Likes

I believe that smoking causes schizophrenia in already vulnerable people and that’s why the figures are so high.

1 Like

Nicotine doesn’t worsen my symptoms.

2 Likes

But THC cannabis did worsen my sz symptoms.

1 Like

I didn’t smoke when I had my first psychosis. So for me tobacco didn’t trigger psychosis.

1 Like

For me its the cannabis. I wouldn’t say it caused my sz but it caused a temporary psychosis before I got diagnosed with sz. The cannabis induced psychosis lasted a day then I was back to normal and thats without using any meds. I did have sz symptoms way before using any substance like alcohol, nicotine, cannabis etc though, my symptoms started as far as 15y.o. and I was even a virgin back then lol

1 Like

I used to smoke a lot. everybody at the hospital smoked too. it was because it was so boring there and the smoking room had the best people and discussions in it. I used to sit in the smoking room for hours and smoke all the time and talk. it was very unhealthy, I know that now… I started to smoke in hospital. I was in a ward that had only psychotic and schizophrenic people in it.

two years ago I stop smoking for good and it was the best thing to do for myself.

4 Likes

I have sz and smoke because i haven’t got any better things to do but shorten my life. I think its depression.

2 Likes

Are you still vaping nicotine?

1 Like

Yes I am unfortunately. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Well if its not helping you why not stop it? Myself I would stop if I wasn’t so sedated by my 5mg risperidone.

2 Likes

I also feel sedated on 12 mg Invega, but I just drink coffee.

1 Like

I’d like to quit vaping for sure. I might try it soon. I’ll get nicotine lozenges.

2 Likes

How many cups of coffee do you drink a day? I can’t drink coffee as it makes me agitated and irritable/nervous. Its weird though that caffeine pills don’t do this to me, I take 200mg when I wakeup and 200mg with my 2mg risperidone at 2pm.

1 Like