Who here is sz jobless

Im worried who is a jobless person here in the chat. I’m concern because nobody should be especially with all the help going around.

2 Likes

I’m on disability because I can’t work.

6 Likes

Can you try working on the computer?
sometimes thats a better way than getting low rate pay from the disability check

1 Like

I have problems associated with my brain lesions that make me unreliable. I used to work and I would have days where I couldn’t remember how to do my job. I get very confused sometimes.

2 Likes

What do you do for a living @Illvoices

1 Like

I’m on disability. I used to make money on my own to supplement this with my pickup truck, but since I got sick the auction house shut down and I lost my source of cheap furniture. I haven’t had luck finding another golden goose like those auctions. Also I don’t have a pickup truck anymore. So it’s just disability checks now.

It’s a shame, it was an easy gig and I could have handled it with the voices. I just spent a few hours one day a week at auction picking out and loading furniture, the rest of the work was restoring at home and selling over craigslist. Mostly working from home. I miss it.

6 Likes

For the record, I started working for a paycheck at 14 and worked until I was 37. I earned my disability

6 Likes

Even though I’m 74, I wish I could work. My father insisted that I get work when I could and I have that work ethic in my blood. But, besides sz, I am getting old. So, I do chores around the house. I’m trying to get myself to cook which I haven’t done for two years since I went on oxygen.

3 Likes

I applied for ssdi a couple weeks ago. So my working days are over. On the website it said I had been working from 1978 till now so I’m hoping they will consider that

3 Likes

I am currently on disability but whenever my mom needs help with her second job I go and get some extra cash for myself. :wink:

2 Likes

I also get some good advise from my voices telling me that I should work from home. and she even told me the type of job and everything. I was told that monitoring social media isn’t so bad.

1 Like

I’ve never really worked. My family pays for all my costs, food, drugs, clothing etc. They dont even like me doing chores around the house. They’re 70 and I’m 40. That may sound like heaven but unless you learn to reconcile with that reality, it can make you feel like a burden to others

5 Likes

Not sure whAt you mean by that the majority of schiz dont work. They still dont feel well and have problems dealing with stress even on medication

2 Likes

Is there a plan for when they can’t care for you anymore?

1 Like

Wow in 1978 I was two.

2 Likes

Well, there is essentially a plan to put me into a high quality care home in North India. We’ve always lived in South India and looked at care homes here but they are all low quality. When I became aware that I was sz, I agreed to be put into the best of the garbage during states of high psychosis. It was not a good experience(no running water, no therapy, no doc, no english speaking staff etc) and it was really hard at first…but I learned to adapt. The first time I was taken out by my family after 4 months. The second time after 2 weeks. But sometimes, as I sit here in my room at home, I even yearn for it. The gem it offers for me is an environment where I could talk with others vs the home where I can use a computer, eat good food, and browse the net…but where I only know 3 people(mom, dad, bro) and none want to talk to me. Current indications of our financial status is that a care home in North India may not be possible. But I’ve learned to integrate with my reality and dont need much to be happy. Prime states for me:

• Using graphics apps on my laptop
  • Watching movies, reading books, listening to music
  • Eating tasty food
  • Intelligent conversations with others(not just habitual chatter)
  • Volunteering

If I move to a care home, its very likely I wont have access to a laptop and almost certain I wont have access to Internet. I’m also pretty certain I wont have access to something like my folk’s great cooking and I am unsure if other patients will want to have conversations with me or even how much access I will have to outside world. So my projection of a likely ‘horrible’ future currently is:

• just access to books and music

So from time to time, I unplug from my laptop, and from internet on my smartphone(no SIM card) to try and see how I handle living without the only tools I have to distract my mind from harsh present moments. I have more than 200 books on my phone and about 300 MP3s. I am able to get by okay for about 2 days(max!) before the urge becomes too strong. But I keep trying(sometimes multiple times a month)…because I believe I can…in fact, now that you’ve reminded me, I just realized that the ones that dont work are cold turkey unplugs…no tech whatsoever. So this time I’ll try sticking to just books and music. Got a good feeling about this. Hopefully there will be no posts from me for at least 3 days…

4 Likes

I hope you find peace to go with music and books. I also hope you find others with sz who want to talk and be friends.

3 Likes

@CoCo @anon62973308 Okay, that was my shortest unplug ever! Not because I had a uncontrollable urge to return but because I realized something --> I dont want a reality without fears existing. I wanted to unplug because my brain was telling me: “If you do this, then you know you can find peace with monotony, boredom and loneliness.” So the desire for this knowledge was pushing me to try acheiving this knowhow. But as I sat there, my mind said something “I dont want a boring, monotonous or lonely future. IF such an imagined future becomes a reality in the physical world, I will try and cross that bridge when I come to it. Simulating a version where I know that I can replug at will is not the same as a reality where replugging does not seem possible.” I need this forum! It, and the folks like you on this forum, are what keep me going on when I’m hitting my lows. Over the last few days, I’ve been pretty pensive over my reality. My thoughts lie around the range of “Nothing matters in the real world” while my awareness has been of experiencing states that did matter to me even on days I was thinking like that. More and more, I am discovering that I am not just my thoughts. I am also an awareness of my thoughts. And ultimately, it is how that awareness perceives each state of experience that colors my view of the world I am in. This could be free fluff thinking on my part…but it has meaning for me. I am getting an inkling of a video montage to create. If I do, I’ll post it in Creativity. Thanks to all of you for being there!

2 Likes

As a schizophrenic and a member of this forum you should know why not everybody can work. Personally, for years I’ve admired the people on here for their desire and efforts to work, even if they don’t always succeed. Just having that desire and willingness impresses me.

8 Likes

I think that’s a good realization @Vasu_Devan1.

2 Likes