Schizophrenia.com

Which job to take? Any suggestions?

I have two job offers. One of them involves taking care of people with severe grade mental deficiency and are wheel chair bound. It involves physical and day care duties. The other involves sorting files and data entry. It’s a simple clerical job.

The first one involves shift duty. I’ll be working one day 1 to 9 and the next day 8 to 4. The second is more stable. I’ll be working everyday 2 to 11. But the workplace is far away and it would be almost 1 am when i return home. I haven’t go out at these small hour s for many years. I think no shift duty is better i have difficulty getting asleep or getting myself out of bed. But I don’t know if i can keep doing a 2 to 11 job. It seems more feasible with the latter job. But it’s long day working 2 to 11. I have been working 9 to 1:30 for this past year and i like it.

this is not for me to decide. but if i were in your shoes… then… i’d take the clerical job over the stress of the other one any day.

1 Like

Shift work often sucks for people who need a stable sleep routine.

1 Like

If it were my choice I’d definitely take the clerical job. But then again I’d never consider care work

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I worked for a while in a nursing home that at least had stable shifts, there were 3, 6AM to 2PM, 2PM to 10PM, 10PM to 6AM. But they were so understaffed that burnout was terrible and people were always calling in, so you could work 10PM and 6AM, go home, close your eyes and your phone goes off at 8AM with them telling you to come back.

1 Like

I would agree with the clerical. Follow your intuition and you shall find your designation
-flower

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Clerical choice is a no brainer.

2 Likes

I’ve worked with “retards” in the past -cooking and helping them be sufficient but I resented all the attention they got when I was also one with a handicap.
I am on SSDI and receive $1450.00 American dollars monthly and I work part time as an UBER driver - I can make the allotted amount of under $1000.00 without it affecting my SSDI benefits which is really cool cause it gets me out of the house alone but with people- I talk to so many people about a variety of topics and often feel like a therapist to them ( I work in a college town in mid state Illinois. Does the filing job give you enough good interaction with people?

The employer said i dont need to talk to even colleagues with the clerical job. I know it’s nice having some sicial interaction. But it’s not provided with this job.

Yes they are understaff. I might be doing two to three persons job. The manager said it’s a busy job.

I’d pass then, if it were me, and take the clerical job.

That is how corrupt caregiving type jobs get you. They start you off on some inconsistent scheduled shifts, and then they try to guilt trip you into working more hours. “Oh Stacey called in again, can you work a double shift, we don’t have anyone else?” “Oh Dan called off all next week, can you work his shifts, too?” Next thing you know you are totally sleep deprived and crazy.

1 Like