When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Credit goes to Pandy for thinking up this topic.

Feel free to include what you wanted to be when you were older too if you want.

10 Likes

I started dancing and learned how to read/play music when I was 4.

I spent my childhood wanting to be a ballerina – I was obsessed with it.

When I turned 14, I stopped dancing, and the rock star fantasy was born!

7 Likes

I wanted to be a criminal mastermind. Instead I went to work for a bank.

6 Likes

I decided at age 5 I wanted to become a psychiatrist. My mother encouraged this because she was in the social sciences field. My family wanted me to be “the best.” Then when I got ill at age 24 my career plans ended.
I don’t think I was really cut out for being a psychiatrist and in some ways it is not a great job. I think I would have been happier being an engineer or a social worker. Or perhaps a family doctor in a rural setting.

4 Likes

A fireman. Then puberty hit and I came to my senses. Now I want to be a cat.

7 Likes

I honestly don’t think I had any career goals when I was a kid. I think I was just enjoying being a kid.

As for later in life, I wanted to be a computer programmer. I learned BASIC and C programming languages on my own and coded a few programs but not much came from it.

4 Likes

I wanted to be a doctor because of the tv show “Trapper John M.D.”

https://mash.fandom.com/wiki/Trapper_John,_M.D.

I made a bet with my brother that I’d do it or pay him the equivalent of about $10.

I still owe him the money.

4 Likes

I wanted to be a geneticist. So much of us in in our genes. When I was younger I wanted to be a geneticist to give people cool traits, when I got older and more mature it was to solve disease using gene therapy.

Humans got lucky in many ways, we evolved bipedalism to free up our hands, we evolved hands to manipulate the world around us, and we evolved a big brain to understand the world. But in nature there are a lot of cool traits that we lack, like wings to fly, venomous teeth, gills to breath underwater, electric fields like an electric eel can generate, etc…

I thought it would be cool to give humanity all these cool traits. That was when I was younger and watched X-men. Then I started to learn more about genetics and realized it would be highly likely I would make a bunch of mistakes and screw up everything and highly unlikely anything would work out. Then I moved on and realized gene therapy could help solve a lot of problems.

But in University I got hit with schizophrenia and had to drop out, so it all went up in smoke.

5 Likes

As a kid I wanted to become a marine biologist. Later in life I just wanted to make enough money to live comfortably. I DIDN’T want to be a white-collar, tie-wearing, weasel people out of their hard-earned money, no morals/no ethics social parasite. I did that sh*t for thirteen soul-destroying years and never again under r any circumstances. No.

4 Likes

Fireman
Construction worker
Architect
Lawyer
Philosophy teacher
Homeless saint

Lol notice how it went from humble to grandiose? :sweat_smile::laughing:

6 Likes

In high school my friends father owned a construction company and I worked for him for a couple summers. It’s not easy work, but he did pay me more than minimum wage which was cool.

4 Likes

That’s awesome…actually I usually do construction now as well…I love it too…it’s fun doing heavy lifting and joking around with friends

4 Likes

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a veterinarian, but it was a broad idea, not very specific! When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a zoologist (more specific field of veterinarian)! In 2018 (age 25), I wanted to be a medical biller & coder (behind the scenes, billing patients’ services to insurance and whatnot, which required medical study of anatomy and health conditions).

But in 2019 (while still working on getting certified in Medical Billing & Coding), I had a psychotic-manic break, which landed me in the hospital. I was on meds, at the time, but they just stopped working for some reason? So, I lost my mind. I have never recovered. I stopped schooling, soon after I was released from the hospital. Then I had to stop working in June of this year (2021).

I still, somewhat, hope that I will be able to go back to school and start working, again. I may never work again… but maybe I will??

:blossom:

6 Likes

My favourite jobs were demolition cause we got to destroy everything, that was fun. A lot easier than building something new.

4 Likes

Ninja.

:neutral_face::expressionless::neutral_face:

6 Likes

I’m going to think positively, and say yes – maybe you will.

I’m almost 49 and I still think I can retrain my voice to get my range back and start playing in bands again.

4 Likes

When I was real little like 6 or 7 I wanted to be a fireman or an astronaut. By the time I was 17 I had aimed my sites lower and I wanted to work on freeway maintenance with CalTrans. $1700 a month seemed like a fortune. I actually took the test and passed it when I was 19 but I was in the lower tier of people they wanted to hire and anyways, I ended up in the psyche ward and then a group home.

5 Likes

Oh heck yeah dude demo is my favourite part. … I love breaking down walls and junk haha don’t hit the water lines :sweat_smile::joy:

3 Likes

WHAT? I thought you were already a ninja. You had me fooled. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I also still think I can write another killer screenplay.

I believe in you!!

5 Likes