Schizophrenia.com

When you talk to your doctor/dentist/psych etc. do you give them more respect because of their academic accomplishments? Or do you just talk to them like their a regular ‘Joe’ on the street?

I just talk to them like a regular person. But I’m not sure that I’m doing it right.

6 Likes

I give them respect. Since they are in charge of healing me and try to make my existence peaceful. Sometimes i slip and fall them mr/or ms. But I always try to call them doctor.

3 Likes

I respect them, but I just call them by their first name. My neuropsych is Joanna, my family doctor is Kelly…

My dentist is East Indian, so everyone just calls him doctor Robbie LOL

1 Like

I treat them with respect.
I call my therapist by her first name.
She wants it this way.

She’s a clinical social worker.

2 Likes

I treat them with exactly the same respect as i give everyone else and i expect them to treat me as an equal. Im not at all impressed by their studies. I hate the attitude of superiority some doctors have.

I also dislike the habit in my mh organisation to call everyone by their first name (clients, nurses, reception desk people) but doctors with doctor + last name. I told them i hated it and i either use all their first names, or all their last names.

So i call the doctor with his first name and now they do too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My psychiatrist always says “Hi, it’s Mark” when he phones me…but I’ve only ever called him “Doctor”.

I mean, he’s not my buddy or friend. I like to keep it all on a professional level, so no first names for me.

3 Likes

I try to treat everyone with respect, which means calling them the name they prefer, and being polite within reason. I had one pdoc I called an a hole to his face. He told me I would never get married or have kids, never work, and would be lucky to live independently. I told him his job was just to give me pills so he better shut up and stay in his lane.

5 Likes

I’m a little ill-at-ease with my pdoc. I probably don’t talk to him like I do everyone else. I think I’m respectful though.

1 Like

That’s similar to what the consultant,we both had, said to my wife when they didn’t like us getting friendly with each other.

2 Likes

I’m respectful to everyone regardless of being a dr or not. But if I don’t like my dr, I switch. But I recognize people outside the US may not be able to do that

2 Likes

@ninjastar good on you. I would have loved to be there to see the look on his face, LOL

My first psych was a complete a-hole. Some of them think they’re God just because they have PhD after their name, when all they are is a glorified pill dispenser

1 Like

I address mine as Doctor + Last Name. I try to keep our relationship formal, professional, and respectful.

4 Likes

Like regular people.

But, I call them by whatever they prefer, which is usually Dr Lastname

Maybe it’s better to say I give “regular people” respect than to say it the other way round.

1 Like

That was a major break from my usual demeanor. He crossed a major line for me. I generally am firm but polite with pdocs. I had one try to put me on a mood stabilizer when I was transferred to her, despite me being stable for years without one. I told her I do not feel it would benefit me and I would not take it if she prescribed it, but I would definitely report to her if I had any symptoms that required a mood stabilizer. She got used to me. I think most docs don’t expect patients to be informed on medications, so people on this site can be either very refreshing or very challenging to a pdoc. I sometimes bring in links to studies for my docs when I say I want to try a new supplement, so they can see the research I did and help me with the decision to try it or not.

4 Likes

my pdoc i call “doctor” but my gp doc is have known my whole life and i call her by her first name but they both know i treat them with respect but i try to treat everybody with respect though.

1 Like

When I had my meltdown in 2002, the psych at the hospital tried to put me on Effexor. I explained to him that I had already tried effexorr before the accident, and not only did it not work, it made my condition worse. It made it very hard to focus on my job, it cause blurred vision, etc etc etc

But he insisted that I take it despite all that, stating that if I refused to take my medication he would do a blood test and I would be labelled non-compliant with the insurance company. That would mean I would have lost my home and been on the street within three weeks.

As I knew it would, it made me feel dead inside and just made my condition worse. I try not to hold grudges, but he was a despicable human being and an arrogant jackass.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it doesn’t matter to them.

I give respect to my pdocs as long as they are worth the money as in listening to what I have to say from my side.

There were a few cases where pdocs just think that “ok this guy is a psychotic patient so whatever he/she says doesn’t matter… Just prescribe them the meds and be done with it”

To those doctors I don’t see them again… I could have been rude to them but it’s not in my nature to just grab the moment and foul mouth them.

My current pdocs (whom I have been seeing since my first diagnosis) are very patient and friendly. They give time to me to explain things from my end… one pdoc is always in touch with me through whatsapp. We discuss soccer philosophy science apart from my health.

They are a nice bunch.

1 Like

Sorry. That seems really unfair. I have noticed it depends on how you talk to them. Most pdocs like to think of themselves as very smart, and if you say things in a way that challenges their intelligence they get defensive. I tend to present things like “Well I don’t know that would work for me because I have tried X before and had a negative reaction. Those are in the same class, right? [gives them an opportunity to act like they already knew that and actually retained info from your file] But I did recently read a study on Y, and I was curious if you think that would work for me?”

Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no, but they give me clear reasons when they say no and I can respect that. I don’t know as much as a pdoc, even if I know more than the average patient.

1 Like