What's the difference between

I was reading a thread on the medications forum about antidepressants, where @rogueone said that about 70% of schizophrenics suffer from depression. What makes them different from me, who has schizoaffective depressive type?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’ve always been curious. My depression is easily controlled on only 10 mg of Lexapro, and the sz part of my illness is much more pronounced.

Schizoaffective bipolar type. Manic and.depressive

i mentioned before that i browsed a lot in a forum of psychiatrists and psychologists and tbh a lot of them referred to schizoaffective as a waste basket diagnosis and said it doesnt make a lot of sense and isnt super useful clinically. honestly, imo it should be like;
if the psychosis happens only during the mood episode, then its bipolar or depression w/ psychosis
if the mood episodes only occur during psychosis, its schizoaffective
if they occur independently of each other, then you have both a mood disorder and schizophrenia

that system would be more useful and make more sense imo

4 Likes

That DOES make a lot of sense. Under that scenario, I am sz with depression.

1 Like

@anon39736208 . I’ve found it can change with locality. Over here in Oz I’m a paranoid sz with depression. When I was in the states my psydoc really wanted to call me sz aff /depressive. I think it was just more common over there than here.

It’s actually a lot higher the number but I erred on the side of caution. My brain isn’t what it was and I forget an aweful lot these days! Truthfully it’s all about treatment anyways and labels tend to be confusing! @korieve is on the money!

I used to be schizoaffective mixed type which is described at Schizoaffective disorder | Royal College of Psychiatrists as > Schizoaffective disorder mixed type

In this type, you have psychotic symptoms with both manic and depressive symptoms. However, The psychotic symptoms are independent and not necessarily related to the bipolar disorder symptoms.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.