What was the reason that got you diagnosed as a sz in the first place?

I got misdiagnosed as a psz because my next door neighours were actually mean to me. They used to throw small items by the side of my house from time to time. They would mock me,provoke me and talk very loud sometimes. This drove me so mad that i kicked the stove to pieces. As a result my parents took me to see a pdoc. The pdoc didnt believe me and put me on risperdal. What i went through was very unfair because of the inconsiderate neighbours. Am i really mentally ill?

maybe the pdoc got it right, I doubted my diagnosis at first, but coming to see it as a blessing as I would have had a low quality of life without my meds.

I got diagnosed because I was getting picked up by the police hiking along the highways. one of the doctors at the behavioral hospital diagnosed me. she got it right.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed because I was hearing voices and had negative symptoms.

Maybe what your doctor diagnosed you on wasn’t that you thought your neighbours were after you, but the way you reacted to it. You say they mocked and provoked you, but to an outsider, that can sound like paranoia. And if the paranoia drove you so desperate that you felt you had to break something, maybe you needed help not to get that way again.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to answer your question. I was acting psychotic hearing voices at therapy the therapist called the cops. Ambulance came. Taken to er and hospitalized/diagnosed

3 Likes

it’s funny I got diagnosed without hearing voices at first but they started a year later. although I did have delusions, paranoia about the gov’t and other people out to get me, and was disorganized. also my moods were up and down, I would get manic and hike a hundred miles or more. for example I tried to hike to California once from Indiana.

3 Likes

WHAT!!! Really? @Lifer

2 Likes

My first diagnosis was schizophrenia then my second psychiatrist diagnosed me with bipolar disorder.

My third psychiatrist diagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder.

I got diagnosed in the first place because of angry outbursts, manic and depressed episodes and paranoia.

2 Likes

yep. once I got picked up I acted suspicious of the police and the authorities, even the doctors. that’s why I got diagnosed. I was 26. the voices started when I was 27 or 28 after I had quit taking my medicine.

3 Likes

Because I admitted to hearing things and feeling things crawling on me. Then got a little more in depth and told them i thought my family wanted me dead.

2 Likes

@Peire Sorry to hear that.

Idk it feels like it changed absolutely nothing in the long run, if anything I’m a happier guy now than in 2011 when nobody was bothering me. Did you have symptoms before what happened to you?

The symptoms. What else would it be?

1 Like

Well i was bullied sometimes at secondary school because my mom was a teacher in the same school. I once hit hard one of the bullies with a t square on his head which lead to him bleeding.

At around 18 years old i was getting fustrated with school and entering university that i would argue alot with my parents about how i didnt want to attend university.

At the university rental houses i started to get a bit paranoid about other renters talking bad things about me. Like how i dont have a girlfriend. After two years the incident with the stove happened and then i had to quit university.

1 Like

Because the same thing happened to my brother, my mum could just tell I was hearing things by looking at me.

Possibly maybe your right.

I mean like what events took place that got you diagnosed.

Sorry to hear that. Do you feel better with risperidal?

@Peire I’m on 3mg invega. Still trying to cope with side effects though. It was not easy.

You might have had the propensity to become schizophrenic for a long time before you were diagnosed and maybe the stress of the neighbors just put you over the edge.

If it wasn’t the neighbors it would probably have been something else that triggered you.

But irritating neighbors alone is not what causes schizophrenia to someone who never had mental health issues before that.

Obviously, kicking a stove because neighbors are hassling you does not warrant a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Hell, this is America, there are a million things that happen here every day that are a 100 times worse and crazier than kicking a stove to pieces and people don’t get diagnosed with schizophrenia. The doctor must have seen something else in you that made him give the diagnosis. He must have seen some kind of pattern in your behavior and thinking that led him to believe you are schizophrenic. There must be more going on because schizophrenia is a serious disease and people are not given the diagnosis lightly.

I wa diagnosed at 19 but the signs were there a couple of years before the official diagnosis. What led up to my diagnosis was paranoia, isolation, delusions, overly fearful, and behavior that wasn’t usually characteristic of me. A trigger for me was taking too much LSD one day. I already had many problems but acid put me over the edge. But like I said above, if it wouldn’t have been the bad LSD trip, it would have been something else. Becoming schizophrenic was in the cards for me long before I got diagnosed, but drugs, isolation and stress put me over.

3 Likes

9 years ago, in 9th grade started to become psychotic over a year period but managed to still go to school do everything, family didn’t notice the signs.

10th grade i one day started to have voices , and that was ground zero.
I lost all insight, and starting to wind down that path
, 4 weeks in the delusional world and stories until one was like me standing up still, in which I was not to respond to anyone which I did for like 5 hours, parents ended up calling the ambulance and I got committed,
Which began a process of a 3 year complete psychosis, until I found some sort of context to reality.

Marijuana use was probably a key factor in me developing it.

2 Likes