What use do you get out of a psychologist?

Do you guys actually find use in a psychologists. My psychiatrist once recommended one but they haven’t been of use to me. I would really like to find out if they actually help in some respects.

1 Like

They helped me find some solutions and coping strategies I didn’t think of, but that was it, 3-4 appointments were enough and it was useless after that.

1 Like

A therapist can help a bit but making sure that you have a psychiatrist is more important especially for schizophrenia or SZA.

My current therapist is a PHD psychologist and she gives me some sound advice once in a while, but she acknowledges that medications is more important in treating my disorder.

1 Like

I try to avoid psychologists. They invariably find things wrong with you.

2 Likes

Mainly I am in therapy now for trauma work, and so I have a safe place to talk about the craziness that goes on in my life on a regular basis with my illness.

I was seeing a psychologist but she wasn’t of any help…

Depends on the type of therapy too. Like psychotherapy isn’t clinically backed as being effective and is literally just talking about feelings all the time, which can be a relief to vent but also doesn’t really get you anywhere with developing new and better coping skills. However CBT is super effective for depression & anxiety. DBT is supposed to be the most effective for borderline personality disorder. EMDR is currently considered one of the most effective treatments for trauma. A lot of people going into therapy don’t know there are different kinds that are good for different things.

1 Like

i have finally got to the point where I’m stable enough to hardly have much to say at my appointments. she just asks how my meds are, if i have been manic or not, etc. and we conversate on a normal level.

she advises me to continue what I’m doing because the last thing I want is to wake up and think the world is ending and spectral aliens and beings are falling from space on to earth.

or believe that I have special mental psychic powers that can help people. I mean yeah it was cool but every day it just got worse.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.