What other bad illness would you have instead of SZ

It would be cancer, you either die and or live and end of story

3 Likes

Well it depends on the type of cancer, brain, heart and lung cancers are no fun.

I would choose depression bcz lots of working treatments. Antidepressants, rTMS, Lithium, ECT, etc

2 Likes

You suffer tremendously if you die from cancer. No thanks.

1 Like

I used to wish a had cancer. My family would be at my bedside and I would make it or die. Instead of this, my family is scared of me when I’m sick and the look at me as I’m some alien.

2 Likes

The grass is always greener on the other side.
I bet people with cancer wish they could have schizophrenia instead so all they had to was take a pill each day

7 Likes

I knew a fellow with a brain tumour. He survived the surgery, but the was a competent adult going into it and now he’s more of a child placed in an institutional setting. Not sure he’s really living now.

2 Likes

I believe there’s a saying that goes something like, “if everyone were to gather together and put a physical manifestation of the sum of all of their issues in front of them with the choice to either take someone else’s or keep theirs, they’d all keep theirs.” In short, I would not trade my illness for another. I’m comfortable with my own brand of suffering.

3 Likes

Leprosy. I need to lose weight and an arm and a leg falling off might get me to my ideal, healthy weight.

1 Like

I would have preferred to die from cancer with a sane mind instead of lose my mind. I have seen it from nearby and it is no fun, but still preferable to me.

Stage four cancer. It would be a dream coming true.

2 Likes

None that I can think of.

Because I believe I can recover enough from psychosis or its resultant comorbidities, to not die prematurely of it.

I hopes :pensive:

1 Like

I already have a few autoimmune illnesses, so I don’t want any other physical ailments. I can cope w8th my brain being messed up. The meds keep me sane.

Its interesting to see lots of schizophrenics saying they wish they had cancer instead. I’ve got to say I used to think the same when I was newly diagnosed.

Cancer is seen as an incredibly normal illness today. Of course it hasn’t always been that way, but people are immediately understanding of it and know what it is. Its always being talked about in soaps and there are lots of popular charities for cancer.

Schizophrenia on the other hand, many people have no idea what it is, and worse people often think its things they’ve seen in films - like it means you are a serial killer, or it means you are violent or permanently unstable. Ive also met people who said “oh keep at it you’ll get through it” and I’m just like internally - no its a lifelong condition I’m not gonna get “through” it. Even my own family don’t really seem to understand what it is in full. They just see it as “mental health issues” without going in more detail. The worst offender for me is that government disability assessments don’t really have much criteria for schizophrenics.

With all this said I’ve often felt like cancer sufferers have it easy. Of course not in the illness they have to suffer through, but the way everyone has some picture of what it is in their brain so that people at large are compassionate and sympathetic.

3 Likes

I would rather be bi polar, I guess

Yea its like if saying the word “schizophrenic” is offensive or an insult. That’s how I feel. People are scared of sz. They welcome the word cancer and sympathetize with it.

2 Likes

Even my neighbour who has epilepsy and depression told me that us ill in the brain are separated in society from normal people.

Tbh bipolar people scare me more than schizophrenics do.
That inability to control one’s emotions, and switching between manic and depressed, it really creeps me out and makes me worry their instability will deteriorate my own mental health if I get too close to them.

At least with sz, my emotions are somewhat under control.

3 Likes

It isn’t any fun, the bipolar. I’m sza bipolar type. My meds mostly control it, but tge constant swings are scary

1 Like

Hey I like you’re masked zombie avatar!