What is Your Heritage?

Hi! I feel like we need something to brighten our moods today. Or maybe it is just me. And my heritage is something that always makes me feel good about myself.

I am half Cajun French (yup, I live in the deep south of Louisiana)
and I am half Chickasaw Native. (you wouldn’t believe the family stories I have about this)

I think it’s interesting to note that both of these groups were exiled at one point in time…
Cajuns were exiled from Canada.
Chickasaw were exiled during the Trail of Tears.

What is your heritage? Don’t be shy :smile:

I am of English heritage and descended from the original colonists on both sides of the family as well as some who came over much later. I am also German of the Pennsylvania Dutch variety…beyond that I have no idea…we think we trace back to the medieval Balkans on my fathers side but who knows.

I may also have some native heritage as well on my mothers side.

1 Like

I have always thought that living in the bayou would be the coolest thing. Of course it’s probably hot and as humid as hell there and the bugs, probably a billion mosquitoes. Have you been to the bayou?

I’m mostly Polish and German. I have a little Dutch and Irish in me as well. There weren’t many ethnic traditions in my family. We identify mostly as just Americans.

I’m the oldest in the family now, the rest died and I never showed a lot of interest in our heritage so there is much I don’t know. I regret not asking about it when I had the chance.

Haha, imagine having to use your windshield wipers when it’s not even raining. THAT is how humid it is here. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, of course, there are swamps EVERYWHERE. I live on the edge of a huge city, baton rouge, and there’s a swamp five minutes away from my house. it’s small of course, not like Henderson swamp, or the ones you see on the way to New Orleans by Lake Pontchartrain

I got to drive past Henderson Swamp yesterday on the way to Lafayette.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I’d live there in a second except I hate the heat, the humidity, and the bugs. Hehe I guess it’s really not the best place for me.

I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else, and I’ve been all over the country!
Some places just feel like home.
But if I had to move, I would move to Sausalito, California. Absolutely stunning area.

Recent history - English 50 Scottish 30 Irish 20

Via DNA testing for roughly500 years back- British Isles 69 Scandinavia 30 North Africa 1

DNA testing covering 1000s of years back- North European 45 Mediterranean 36 South West Asian 17 Native American 2 .

2 Likes

I have relatives in Houma and Baton Rouge…the air IS so thick haha. I live in southern MS now and it’s partially thick here too.

1 Like

I am a mutt XD

I am half British, a fourth Scottish, a bit Blackfoot native, descended from the Scythians, descended from Ancient Egyptians, and a lot of other things XD

1 Like

british mostly, quarter scottish.

1 Like

Typical WASP - white Anglo Saxon Presbyterian. Boring-g-g-g.

1 Like

We seem to have a lot of scotts here.

I’m about half Irish, 25% German, and about 25% Czechoslovakian…my dad says the Czech in us is more closer to Croatia than the Czech Republic, but he’s not always right about things, so I don’t know.

2 Likes

Half Irish, quarter German (PA Dutch), quarter Lakota (mom was born in the reservation).

2 Likes

I’m part English, part Czechoslovakian, and part Polish. On my Grandmother’s side, she was American from way back.

3 Likes

German, French, Scotch, Irish.

2 Likes

Italian. Not much else.

2 Likes

German and Irish.

1 Like

Well, years ago I was half-drunk most of the time!!
Now I’m clean and half-Greek! With a smidgeon of Irish, Scottish, and German and English.

3 Likes

Dad’s side- Half Scott/ Half Mexican
Mom’s side Half Irish/ Half Japanese

Also mixed in to the blood line, some Jamaican. I have no idea how we ended up with a Jamaican great grandpa, but he’s in the family photos.

2 Likes