What is your career choice?

And How Did you get there?

I used to work in group homes for adults with developmental disabilities and absolutely loved it. I was amazing at my job and even got recognized 3 years in a row for how good I was. Then I was promoted to manager and then was asked to head a team to train me managers because I was so good at it. I loved it and it truly devastated me when I had to stop working.

I got into it because when I was in college I went to a summer job fair and for as job working at a summer camp for people with DD and when that was over I found a job in group homes doing similar work.

6 Likes
  1. Commercial insurance broker.
  2. No idea. It just sort of happened.
1 Like

Hope someone gets inspired by this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A man isn’t his job.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a career. I was unemployed and needed a job and I got hired on as a janitor. Been there 8 years now. It puts gas in the car and food on the table.

5 Likes

Loved working for the local laborers union for over a decade. A friend recommended me…

2 Likes

I love people who work for people with developmental disabilities like you did. :hugs:

5 Likes

@LED

Please be honest - do I come across as intellectual disabled?

1 Like

Yes, you do. You need a lot of assistance to do daily tasks and seem to have a poor grasp on the connections and processes of the social services that you receive.

4 Likes

Before schizophrenia I wanted to be a fortune 500 vp. I was on a fast track at a large company. Now I don’t know what I’ll do. I’m going to use my disability money to go back to school. For a little bit I wanted to try to be a doctor. Now I am thinking I will get a computer science masters. I don’t think I can be a vp anymore too stressful and demanding. I don’t think vps have such a nice life anyways it is really long hours.

1 Like

I HAD a career. Schiz threw a wrench into those plans…in 2009…and I’ve still to mentally recover from it. I need to get on with it, but I had an awesome career built up, knew people, and was actually great at my job/role. Having a career totally wiped away from under your feet is one of the hardest things to go through, along with death of parents/siblings/children, jail, and death of spouse.

3 Likes

Working in a bookshop for sure!

5 Likes

Computers / I.T. used to be my career. I used to love everything to do with computers.

2 Likes

i was in the army doing constructions and transportation… after i left the army i drove trucks with sea shipping containers.

6 Likes

Okay, this is a twisted path. I actually wanted to work for Natural Resources here in Canada. I’ve always loved the outdoors, and being of service in protecting it appealed to me. But I phoned and asked The Ministry of Natural Resources what their employment opportunities looked like. He said they had had their funding cut already, and would probably not be hiring in any significant way for at least 10 years.

Scrap that plan

So I went back to college for visual design, which included everything from image editing to computer animation. When school was over, I was invited by a classmate to start our own business doing web design. Like most people at that time, I had never seen a web page, and we had to convince every single business we spoke with that they even needed a web presence. Fast forward, three years of starving to death…

I was hired by a small technology company, Who provided both internet connections and web design. Since no one else knew how, I had taught myself computer programming and became quite proficient in online Commerce in database warehousing. Within three years I was made head of my department, my official title being Lead Developer of eCommerce Solutions. I know, fancy eh? :wink:

Then one night, I was driving home from work on the highway, and some guy in a white car cut me off. Long story short, I woke up from a coma to find myself paralyzed from the neck down. Everything has developed from there, including dissociative disorder, PTSD, major depressive disorder, and now schizophrenia

However… I have learned to walk and talk again, and if I were to choose a career now it would be veterinary assistant. Gotta love animals :blush:

Whew!! Ok, I’m done

4 Likes

I used to be a physiotherapist and a small gym manager.

3 Likes

Since having sz my job is video games player lol But seriouly maybe if I stream I can make money.

2 Likes

I wish this was true, but working is a big part of being a man. I feel bad bcz I cant work since having sz.

1 Like

@anon40540444 I agree, not being able to work was a huge hit. You become very strongly associated with what you do for a living, even to the point that it becomes part of your identity. Dealing with that has been a grieving process

4 Likes