What is the worst thing someone has said to you when you told them your diagnosis?

When I came back to university after being on my first type of medication (it stopped working after 4ish months, maybe longer.) I told my housemates my diagnosis of psychosis( got the full diagnosis a few years later that it was what my family had assumed it be, sz) the first thing one of my housemates told me after telling them (like under a month of being diagnosed with psychosis) was ‘as long as you don’t hurt me’. While he nervously laughed. Living with those flatmates made me uncomfortable and on edge afterwards and I ended up going home and retaking that year in the new accidemic year in march because I got sick again.

12 Likes

“That makes sense…”

:rofl:

6 Likes

Whenever i say my diagnosis Sz …they think me of being lunatic…where r u from.??? The U.S …i like ur profile name…whatz that means…?? Can u explai n…??

1 Like

I never share my diagnosis with anyone.

6 Likes

I told my friends and never heard much from them since. It’s a shame as I used to have people to hang out with but now I have no friends. I think the hardest thing is to accept that being sociable and accepted by others becomes increasingly difficult as time goes on. I wish I had not told them now, but they probably would have been aware anyway because I deteriorated for about a year before I was diagnosed.

3 Likes

That actually sucks. My friends back in hometown are like my children. They were around when I was experiencing it and thought it was real… The stuff I said was so f’d up but they stayed throughout the whole thing from me going through it to my diagnosis. I mean I had family but to know that I had friends that was just there especially when I needed them most probably saved me in a sense.

3 Likes

I didn’t tell her I had psychosis but one place I went to interview in the past suspected I had a mental illness and said that was the reason she couldn’t hire me. Now I talk much better and it is difficult to guess I have an illness.

I told a woman at University that I was schizoaffective.

Her response?

“Don’t tell people that.”

– she was insinuating that I should be embarrassed and/or ashamed of my diagnosis. It was the way she said it. She said it so condescendingly.

My best friend said to me:

“So how does it feel to be crazy?”

:neutral_face:

6 Likes

When I told my friend(in an effort to explain previous strange behavior, a little parinoia) that I was bi-polar with psychotic episodes, she said “mental illness isn’t real it’s just an excuse for bad behavior or a weak mind” I Don’t really tell to many people, I don’t socialize so much anymore either, people at my church think mental illness is due to demon possession, they are uninformed but I don’t want to risk a forced exorcism.

3 Likes

How does it feel to be normal?

1 Like

“Oh, you’re not schizophrenic. Manic depressive, maybe”. It’s extremely rare that I tell anyone about my diagnosis.

“How can that be, you aren’t r*tarded?”

1 Like

Literally yesterday my mom goes “ur not schizophrenic.” And then she goes “do YOU think u have schizophrenia?”

I’m still in the closet about things and I know I have sz and not bipolar disorder but this all just happened like a year and a half ago. I’m trying to break it to them lightly but it’s so disheartening.

2 Likes

After I passed out in the psych Hospital, they transported me to the local ER by Ambulance.

There was this really mean and rude ER doctor there who basically threatened to kick me out of the ER if I showed my face there again.

He behaved this way after finding out my SZA dx.

1 Like

My friends and immediate family are very loving and supporting. My friends will even ask me about my dx to learn more about it. We have conversations about it, and it feels good to educate people who want to understand what I’m going through.

They also want the stigma of mental illness to end. Because they’ve all been effected by it in some way. Their boyfriend or brother or family has MI. It’s more common then people think, I think everyone knows someone who struggles.

The worst stuff that happens to me is more misinformation. Like when my bf told his mum that I had psychosis she replied with
’so what does that mean you go home to a different personality everyday?’ Thinking I have DID which we all know is different.

My grandma has called mentally ill people ‘lunatics’ so I don’t tell her much about my diagnoses. As far as she’s concerned I suffer from anxiety and depression (which isn’t wrong either)

Other then that in high school and middle school people bullied me and called me psycho. To this day even people who don’t know me ask ‘oh you’re that crazy chick right’

When I was in school I had to go to hospital for quite a few months due to an almost successful suicide attempt. When my boyfriend went into the hockey change room his team greeted him with ‘way to go buddy! You sent a chick to the fourth floor eh?!’

1 Like

I’m so sorry, @Wave that that happened to you. I’ve been treated that way before too. But with me, it was the police.

2 Likes

That’s honestly disgusting that people joked about you like that during such a distressing time. Those people are honestly sick

3 Likes

Doctors like that are honestly a disgrace.

2 Likes

My sisters think I caused my own sz through my drug use. I would not have it, if not for that. It couldn’t possibly be…genetic. (We have depression, mental illness, down syndrome, drug addiction, autism in the family though)

The doctors concluded that mine was caused by stress and anxiety. So it legit can be anything that sets it off.

1 Like