Does anybody have experience with telling your friends you have sz

When did you tell them and how did it go?

2 Likes

The only real life friend that I really talk to nowadays was around when I was sent to the hospital and I told her about my diagnosis while I was psychotic. She was supportive so I had no issues with it.

3 Likes

I told them down the bars when i was drinking - and it bit me in the arse.

Long story short, it was an excuse for them to take the piss outta me. Not all tho - there was a couple of understanding people - but i wont be doing that again unless we know each really well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve told a bunch of people, their responses range from curiosity, to apologizing, to indifference, to cutting me out of their life.

2 Likes

I told everybody after my last break, which was a really big and bad one, 2 years ago. One of my friends knew when I was in the middle of it, though, because I went to her for “help”, and she saw how sick I was.

I am fortunate that all of my friends have been supportive and accepting. Sometimes, I wonder and worry and feel like some of them have pity for me, or that they get to use my illness as a way to feel superior to me (because they are not ill), but that’s just my illness talking. I hope.

2 Likes

Everyone that I care about knows, and that’s all I need. Everyone else can go to hell

It came up just the other day with my buddy, and he was clearly uncomfortable talking about it, but he does accept me as I am. Some people just don’t know what to say

1 Like

My friends know I have sz, they have no problem with it eventhough they have no mental illness. One of them have 2 friends who are twins and who got sz at around the same age. That friend was friend with the twins before they got sz and he is still friends with them. I met them a few times when my group of friends went swimming at their house.

1 Like

Schizophrenia is too stigmatized to reveal our diagnosises. Only my mom knows and I dont think I will ever tell anyone else for the rest of my days.

2 Likes

I think I just told one person. Can’t really remember. He said; I know. His father was a doctor, too.

1 Like

Well, my only friend (outside of family), has schizoaffective bipolar type, like me!! We have known each other since about age 7. Really weird that we got the same mental illness.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.