What does mania feel like for you?

am i curious as i have been trying to figure out if what i experienced when i was on geodon was mania or something else and if anybody had similar symptoms. also after a little resarch i found out that geodon is the only antipsychotic ive been on that has ssri properties and im a little worried because i just started taking an ssri two weeks ago

Your Dr knows how meds interact so don’t worry too much. Mania its when you have racing thoughts with impulses. I read mania can make you engage in dangerous behaviors and taking risks.

1 Like

Maybe someone who have it can explain it better. I don’t have mania. Maybe when I was on Wellbutrin but I stopped it and back to normal now.

1 Like

it feels like your ready to hike 2000 miles to california on 2 jars of peanut butter.

2 Likes

I get really agitated sometimes or really high feeling. High meaning happy, euphoric, like nothing can bother me and nothing can touch me. I spend money like crazy and don’t sleep.

1 Like

Pure mania feels fantastic to me. Mixed affective state is absolutely horrible.

2 Likes

For me it felt like I was 100/10 excited all the time. Like something unbelievably huge was happening. Colors seemed brighter. My thoughts raced. I didn’t feel like I needed sleep (or was too paranoid to get it). I became very impulsive and spent a lot of money. (I was basically like yolo why not life is too short not to treat yourself). I was easily agitated.

Geodon may or may not have caused a hypomanic episode for me. I was also on wellbutrin at the time which was a more likely culprit.

1 Like

I’ve been on Geodon a long time. A lot of people swear by that drug. I was recently put on Paxil, and I started to have a hard time remembering things. I thought I had Alzheimer’s. I told my pdoc about it, and he said that sometimes happens on Paxil. So he switched me to Zoloft. I don’t think I have ever had a mania because of Geodon, but almost anything is possible on these med’s. The same med can affect two people very differently. Talk to your pdoc about it, and see what he says.

1 Like

When I’m hypomanic I dance and sing and talk and laugh a lot at nothing and scare my husband. Feel euphoric or aggressive. Struggle to sleep unless I take higher dose of meds or a valium.

Unfortunately my depressions are much worse and longer than my hypomanic episodes, what a pity.

1 Like

It feels good to feel some hypomania, this is when I’ll gain some motivation and I’ll feel some euphoria.
Mania and Mixed States are trickier.

I can become disorganized and psychotic.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I ever experienced it. I would think it’s like being wired on coffee or cola. At first it’s great.

1 Like

I had mania when I had my medication switched to Abilify. I was unable to tolerate this drug. I’ve been put back on Clopixol [Zuclopenthixol], which works better for me, but mania for me would be defined as having impulsive, dangerous thoughts and patterns of behaviour; I ended up being sectioned last time and spent 3 months in psychiatric hospitals. I’ve found that by taking a depot injection I am able to manage my condition far more effectively. I saw Egypt a few years ago whilst on a Haldol injection. It makes far more sense to take an injection than the pills and scientific studies have proven the relapse rate is lower than with oral medication.

1 Like

One of the reasons I’m low functioning is I dont experience hypomania or mania. Im chronically depressed. Rarely do I have motivation and energy. Double whammy .

1 Like

Do you take antidepressants? Depression is treatable, negatives of sz aren’t.

I got both. Plus they only work so much. I did 23andme and says like I’m 8 times less responsive to ads.

Plus, I got the fat gene for aps lol.

Its not a fat gene for me, I was 130lb b4 taking aps.

i was quite slim before aps as well, i ended up doubling my body weight (upwards of 150 lbs) within a couple years on olanzapine, every time ive stopped the olanzapine i lost 20 lbs a month consistently for like 3 months than slowed down

My weight seems to be stable at 295lb now, maybe increasing, not sure. I am on 4mg Risperdal. But yeah I was eating 8 large fried eggs with 3 big pitas for dinner nearly everyday while on Olanzapine.

1 Like

im on paliperidone 6 mg now, i think is equal to 3 mg risperidone, and when i switched to this from olanzapine i lost 50 pounds, now im stable at around 305, wish i couldve lost all of what i gained tho, also wish i didnt feel a need to lay down every hour

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.