What do y'all do for work if you work?

Hey friends! I’m trying to find a career that I can actually do with sza. I was a counseling master’s student, and I had to give it up because of my illness. Then I got into a pharmacy tech program, and turns out I would have an issue with licensure because I have a psychotic disorder. Apparently nobody wants a psychotic person messing with pills… who knew?

What jobs have you guys found that you find fulfilling or that pays the bills that is flexible with sza or sz?

1 Like

I makes memes.

:money_mouth_face:

No but seriously, a good job for someone with SZ is something where the workload is not so high.

Courier is the best one I can think of atm.

2 Likes

Oh man. I guess it’s good I learned this now because I was thinking of trying that. Sorry you had this problem.

If all goes well, I should get a job at a survey call center soon. Call centers generally aren’t amazing but I hear this one’s supposed to be pretty low stress.

1 Like

I have a friend who is a pharmacist and she has bipolar with psychosis. Maybe look more into licensure. She got her degree after being diagnosed.

2 Likes

It could vary by state. I won’t say her state for privacy reasons, but it apparently wasn’t a problem for her.

1 Like

Wisconsin you don’t have to be licensed as a pharmacy tech. We have a shortage so they got rid of it, but you don’t get paid as much as a licensed tech. But yeah, it all depends on state.

1 Like

As for jobs, I was a DJ for 10 years, a baker for 5 years, an ABA counselor for 8 years, and most recently I did administrative work for a charity. I am currently taking time off to raise my kid.

1 Like

I found it super stressful. Customers were always mad at me. They said I sounded like a computer :frowning:

As for work…I am currently on maternity leave. Great money in having children btw. Anyways…yea I work at Walmart when I’m not busy with a little one. For careers, I would choose a trade. My husband is looking at getting into carpentry. Lots of trades don’t care what your mental status is.

1 Like

I got a job packing envelopes part time, then I got offered a full time job working in the office. I learnt how to use Excel and some other software, and 6 years later I am a data analyst and I get paid quite well.

My advice is to try and get a entry level job with zero stress, and build up your career within a company. It has happened to me over a long period of time, so I have taken many small steps for what seems like a big one now.

It’s definitely worth it. I was unemployed for 6 months after diagnosis, and I hated not having anything to do.

I can afford to buy things and save money, and it’s a good feeling and rewarding.

It can be tough, but you get through it in the end with the right support.

3 Likes

@Joker wow your lucky…I find entry level jobs hard to find where I am.

I have to travel 70 mile round trip to another city to get to work.

Where I live is an old seafront holiday town and there is no industry here.

I work in a town next to one of the biggest airports in the country, so there is lots of business there.

I cannot afford to move there, as because there are jobs property is expensive.

Well, janitor ain’t my first pick for a job but I’ve been doing it for seven years. It’s pretty easy and minimum wage is $16.00 an hour in the city where I work. I go in at 10:00 am and get off at 4:00 pm with a half hour lunch three days a week. It pays the bills and gives me some extra money left over. I call it a job, not a career.

1 Like

I’m starting a tech support job soon. I know I’ll be good at it, and it’s something that interests me.

Everyone is different, some people like hard physical labour and minimal interactions, others like lots of interactions but no physical stuff.

I don’t like interactions that are too personal, like feeding or helping patients use the toilet or clean themselves. It’s too much responsibility.
But I don’t mind answering a few calls from elderly people needing me to help fix their antivirus settings.
I don’t like physical labour, so a desk job where I can do things at my own pace is actually great for me

1 Like

i work in a company that sells supplements for athletes and to those that they are going to the gym.
my work is to prepare the packages with supplements (courier).
i work to the x husband of my sister hes the owner of the company ,i work as much as i like ( at the moment 4 days of week) and i can get holidays as much as i want and when i want.
driver(other employee) gets me at 7:15 every morning from my home ( i start at 8:00 and i leave work at 4:00)

1 Like

I am working with hiding my SZ symptoms. From many years. Some how i am good at hiding these. I left my home town in this year because of, my old friend and colleague don’t be interfered in to my career. I am alone here in a hotel rented at monthly basis. I am not sure for living with family in near future.

I work as computer tech support in the public sector. I don’t have cognitive deficits and can keep my mouth shut when necessary, so I can work successfully.

1 Like

Right now I restock in a knick-knack store

I am in sales and have been for a while. I did go from company to company for a while but this one is a good fit.

Sales is always deemed high stress but if you find a place where you are 100% commission and you don’t have a quota then you can truly make your own schedule. It works for me and I have been able to cover my bills and take some vacations while doing it. I work a lot when I’m doing well and then cut my hours back when I feel like I need to. The sales generated by the times of more hours then carry me through the lesser hours periods.

If you want physical work then working for yourself in a trade might be good also. You could schedule jobs based on what you can handle. Tile work is very technical and solitary but people will pay a lot for it if you do a good job.

1 Like

Right now I am studying UX design, basically the research and design that goes into digital products. It pays really well and there are a lot of options for remote work which I think would be a lot easier on me.