Very worried about the growing import of conspiracy theories in public debate

Only this morning I was berated by a wilfully uninformed amateur conspiracy theorist peddling anti-semitic/anti-“globalist” rhetoric, a toxic exercise in hate politics. Do you know people in your daily life who endorse these sort of conspiracies? (Moon landing hoax, 9/11 Truthers, NWO etc.)

1 Like

I’m not. I’m definitely not anti-semetic and it really has nothing to do with anti-semetisim at all. I’m not a globalist and I believe a lot of conspiracy theories out there. The term “conspiracy theorist” was made up by our government.

Honestly, I think you should work on yourself and mental illness and not worry about politics or fighting with people. Everyone has their own truth and beliefs.

The only conspiracy theory I probably don’t believe in is “Flat Earth”.

I had someone friend me on Facebook, who believed things like that. I don’t know enough about conspiracies to support anyone.

1 Like

I’m worried about that “probably”. But on a more serious note a great many conspiracy theories are rooted in antisemitic themes and gleefully endorsed by antisemites. Not your case, I know, but so you know where I’m coming from.

1 Like

It sounds like you know enough not to endorse them!

I don’t want to condemn people because of lies.

Well, that’s exactly what I’m doing by engaging with the broader world. It keeps me distracted.

1 Like

It’s pretty glib to conflate anti-globalism as anti-semitism. It’s not a race-specific thing to be against a world government, with the dissolution of borders and mass disenfranchisement, into a left-leaning system, probably China-style.

1 Like

I agree that they are not identical, but if you care to examine the background of contemporary conspiracy theories you’ll find that antisemitism has a been historicallt a driving force behind them. Of course many people who endorse these ludicrous conspiracies are not consciously antisemitic, but they unwittingly reenact antisemitic tropes.

Sorry to say but this is a fantasy view of world politics that has become normalised by right-wing populists (although the far Left has its share of blame too.)

I’m half Jewish,

So I don’t listen to the hate.

It’s just ridiculousness anyway.

I do buy into the fake moon landing 100%.

I believe we’ve been to the moon, but also believe the footage we have was faked.

It was very important that the US make it to the moon and I think they couldn’t afford to mess it up so they faked footage.

Maybe I’m wrong, but there’s some compelling evidence there.

Why isn’t this thread locked? It’s clearly diving into politics.

1 Like

“For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure–one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.”
― David Rockefeller, Memoirs

“Our aim is nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands, able to dominate the political system of each country and the world economy as a whole. Freedom and choice will be controlled within very narrow alternatives by the fact that every man will be numbered from birth, and followed as a number, through his educational training, his required military or other public service, his tax contributions, his health and medical requirements, and his final retirement and death benefits”. Carrol Quigley (Bill Clinton’s mentor) in Tragedy and Hope.

1 Like

We could debate the quotes or rather their context, but I think you’ll agree that these or any other quotes don’t make any more believable the fear of “world government, with the dissolution of borders and mass disenfranchisement, into a left-leaning system, probably China-style.”
What really bothers me is how deep the rabbithole goes for you. How much do you share of the claims made by NWO conspiracy theory advocates? In the other thread you “liked” a comment that indulged in an alarmist and xenophobic “analysis” of immigration rooted in anti-Soros conspiracy theories, and “white genocide” fears to boot. Not to speak about the misleading statements about slavery or the workings of the EU. I’m sure you don’t share all those horrors but I worry about their toxic quality of that kind of rhetoric.

I don’t believe at all that the footage was faked, but the main thing is that mankind made it to the moon.