Update: No to Abilify

I came back from my pdoc appointment. I asked her if I could switch over to Abilify from Risperdal - She basically told me that I was pretty stable now, with no real psychosis, mania or depression - so she said that she would not recommend me to switch over to Abilfy , if I am pretty stable on the Risperdal. I told her that I wanted the switch for my physical health also, so she decided to lower my Risperdal dose a bit down from 3 mg to 2.5 mg and if I tolerate 2.5 mg she may consider lowering it some more to 2 mg. I am not uspet really, I trust her decision making. I guess she wants to play it safe - I do understand

5 Likes

Abilify can get you a little too amped up. That’s what it did to me, anyway.

1 Like

Hope this works out for you Wave.**

1 Like

Ive been on Abilify and Risperidal and i have to say that Risperidal worked better but Abilify was more preferable.

1 Like

I have not had Risperdal but I have Abilify. I have to up the dose every now and then. I’ll be on 30 mg next week. I’ve had it for two years.

Zyprexa is best on psychosis for me. But i do not tolerate it. I get rapid heart beat and low blood pressure.

1 Like

I’m on Risperdal now, but I want to try Abilify. I hope my doctor will switch it for me, especially since the weight gain on Risperdal is a problem for me.

1 Like

Yes! I had the same problem with Risperidal too. I gained a lot of weight on that medicine. That’s why I switched to Abilify

Yeah I wanted off the respiridone for weight gain (for me its not the weight gain I just cant loose weight) and for the sexual side effects as well a swollen breast tissue. My doc also said no she said that rispeidone is very powerful and that a switch to haldol or prolixin would probably keep me at the same dose. So I just have to live with it. I’m on 8 mg.

1 Like

Hi Byan - Yeah it is very difficult for me to lose weight on Risperdal, but I will keep on trying I guess