Two new schizo treatments in development!

What you guys think?? I’m very excited about these two new drugs!!

I mention it later, but these two drugs could be used together, since they don’t act on the same systems in the brain.

Lumateperone might take over as #1 antipsychotic, since it is as effective as older drugs, but without the horrible side effects…

GWP42003 (CBD-based) could be useful as an extra treatment, since it doesn’t work on the dopamine/serotonin systems… reportedly, it’s ALSO super-tolerable, without many (if any?) significant side effects.

First is lumateperone, which is a new way to work with the dopamine and serotonin transporters…

Based on their research so far, there will be NO Extrapyrimidal Symptoms (akithisia, dystonia) AND no metabolic disorders (no increased chance of obesity NOR diabetes)

They are ALSO studying it for sleep disturbances in psych disorders… WITHOUT it being super-sedating!!

Phase 3 trials have concluded and all data has been submitted to the FDA in a New Drug Application.

http://www.intracellulartherapies.com/products-and-
technology/lumateperone/

Second is GWP42003, a CBD-based medicine from GWPharm (don’t worry, there’s no THC in there to make us go crazy!)

It works in a manner COMPLETELY different from current anti-psychotics (typical, atypical, and also lumateperone), so, whenever it gets approved/released, we could use it TOGETHER with lumateperone for additional benefits.

This one is only in Phase 2, right now.

https://www.gwpharm.com/healthcare-professionals/product-pipeline

6 Likes

I don’t think GWP42003 is being developed any more but I could be wrong.

Lumateperone could be interesting for sure.

2 Likes

This makes me happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

When will they come out the first one already has a name so that’s good news right. I want to ask my pdoc about it as soon as it drops on the market lol

1 Like

Lumateperone is in the middle of FDA approval… From what I can find, the FDA will have a YES / NO by September 27th, 2019, but it might need to go in for another round, depending on whether all the marketing / safety info / bottle label info / etc is sufficient… if not, they’ll need to resubmit.

No idea how quickly a drug moves from being FDA approved to being mass-produced for pharmacies.

GW42003 is only in Phase 2. They need to complete Phase 3 and then submit all the drug info to the FDA. This could take several years.

I generally check up on the websites for both of these drug at least once a week… I’ll be certain to post here when there’s new info!!

(Also, if research into GW42003 has been discontinued, the researcher/manufacturer, GWPharm, has not indicated such on their website!)

I’m also very excited for lumateperone.
In my opinion, it is the antipsychotic of the future. I mean, no weight gain, no sexual dysfunction, no akathisia no nasty side effects?
Taking it will be like not taking anything at all, but with all the benefits. It will really help those people that are non compliant with treatment because of side effects. And people that suffer from bad side effects on their current meds.
It will be a new paradigm in schizophrenia treatment.
The day I get to take lumateperone is the day I will feel normal again. The day I won’t feel held back by this disease/side effects.
Only downside is that it will still take about 6 years to be released in europe. But it will be really worth the wait

2 Likes