Intra-Cellular Therapies Announces FDA Acceptance of New Drug Application for Lumateperone for the Treatment of Schizophrenia

Intra-Cellular Therapies Announces FDA Acceptance of New Drug Application for Lumateperone for the Treatment of Schizophrenia

NEW YORK, Dec. 11, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – Intra-Cellular Therapies, Inc. (Nasdaq: ITCI), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapeutics for central nervous system (CNS) disorders, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for review its New Drug Application (NDA) for lumateperone, an investigational agent for the treatment of schizophrenia. The FDA has assigned a Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) target action date of September 27, 2019.

“The FDA’s acceptance of our NDA submission for lumateperone for the treatment of schizophrenia represents an important milestone and brings us closer to offering a potential advance in the treatment of patients suffering from schizophrenia,” said Dr. Sharon Mates, Chairman and CEO of Intra-Cellular Therapies.

The lumateperone NDA for the treatment of schizophrenia is supported by data from 20 clinical trials and more than 1,900 subjects exposed to lumateperone. Lumateperone received Fast Track designation from the FDA in November 2017 for the treatment of schizophrenia.

Ab out Lumateperone for the Treatment of Schizophrenia

Lumateperone, our lead product candidate, is a molecule that provides selective and simultaneous modulation of serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate - three neurotransmitter pathways implicated in severe mental illness. Lumateperone is a potent serotonin 5-HT2A receptor antagonist, a dopamine receptor phosphoprotein modulator (DPPM) acting as a presynaptic partial agonist and postsynaptic antagonist at dopamine D2 receptors, a dopamine D1 receptor-dependent indirect modulator of glutamate (both NDMA and AMPA), and a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. This compound has the potential to benefit patients suffering from a range of neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative diseases.

10 Likes

So the FDA says it will make a decision on lumateperone by September 27, 2019 or sooner. I was beginning to wonder what was happening.
I hope it gets approved. A few meds have been disapproved or approved before the drug decision deadline.
Here’s hoping.

1 Like

Still waiting…

I’m hoping that it gets pushed through as well.
We shall see.

This med really sounds great on paper, I really hope it gets approved and is at least half as good as it sounds.

I wonder if it still has sexual side effects or if it is free of those as well. The lack of weight gain attracts me to this molecule as well as the dopamine agonist qualities.

Thanks for updating us on this.

3 Likes